Flyer rig

Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:57 am

I've been asked by forum members a number of times about a flyer rig and how its made up. I've only started trying this myself after seeing it in sea angler magazine this year and only have had limited success. What I do is use make a standard fixed float rig with a 1oz float and a heavier lead of say 1.5 ozs or more as this rig rests on the line so the float won't sink with a heavier lead. This is connected by a small snap link swivel to the main line after casting a bottom rig out and allowed to fly down the line. This can only be done if the angle of the line is steep enough so its really only a rock or pier mark tactic and the heavier the lead the less the angle needs to be. Shaking the line helps the float get down. I use small size 4 (a size 6 hook is recommended for gars) with a sliver of mackerel belly.

For on the beach you really need a casting version of this rig and to be honest I've only experimented with this. The flyer can now be attached permanently with a swivel or boom to the mainline but you have to set up your rig so as it won't get tangled with bottom rig or main line during the cast so the boom helps here. This can be allowed to stop at your leader knot or float to the surface. A smaller float and lead combination should be used in this case

If anyone has anything else to add please do as I've still to make a success of this tactic but hopefully I'll get something decent on it next summer or autumn.

Donagh

Flyer rigs

Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:03 pm

I was told by an angler from the uk that they use lucozade bottles which are transformed into floats and filled with a certain amount of water to gain distance and they have a way of doing it which I wasnt told as its a great match tactic and the winners of the daiwa pairs 2003 used it to their advantage.