plugs and lure advice

Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:58 pm

Hi new to all this and need advice.

I got a few plugs the type used for bass shaped like a fish with 2 sets of hooks on them.
My problem is they a very light and when cast they do not go that far is there a way to make them go further without doing damage to the action of the lure throught the water.
I know they are for close in action put iam not getting them out any distance

Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:19 pm

pookie,the distance is usually dependant on the thicknedd of your line.the lightter the line the further you cast.If you are looking to get some distance you can try adding a bubble float to your rig and attatch your lure about 5-7 feet in front of your float.This can lead to tangling though.I am generally happy to be able to cast a light lure about 30 yards.If I require any further distance I use the beachcaster and set up for deep spinning with a 3 ounce lead.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:01 pm

Pookie as Col said the distange is hampered by the diameter of your line. You also have to have the right type of rod for casting small light lures. I have used 12lb mono for bass spinning before and I am happy enough if I know the ground that I am fishing. Normally I will use 20lb or 30lb braid. 30lb braid is about the thickness of 10 - 12lb mono. So if you snag a rock there is a good chance you'll get the lure back. Braid is a bit expensive but will last a few seasons. There is also no streach which means with the correct rod you will feel everything. This is a bit wierd at first as you will be striking when a bit of weed hits the lure. If you are going to go for braid you should get a good rod for pass plugging. Any tackle shop should be able to kit you out here. Let me know if you more specifics on the rod. And I suppose the final point. I know everyone says it but you would be surprised at just how close in you get bass. I remember once when fishing in Co. Clare I was testing one of my lures after a few casts because I though is wasn't swimming right. I cast it out about 12 feet and I was pulling the lure towards me with the rod tip just checking the movement of the plug. All I saw was a flash and the lure was gone and the drag was singing on the reel. Turned out to be a nice 3lb Bass. Just goes to show.

Kev

lures and plugging

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:10 pm

think it's all a question of balance, the right strength line with the right weight lure and the right action rod - i.e. if you're using a rod that casts 40-60g for example you just won't be able to get a light lure farther than you could spit it. If you are of the opinion that your plugs are too light it may be that the rod you're matching them to is too powerful. I use tiny spinners with 2lb line and a 5 foot rod for ultralight trout spinning and can still get a decent cast. What weight is your rod designed for?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:25 pm

Pookmesiter.... Being the Master Caster I think I can help....
What you'll need 4 throwing Plugs/Spinners/Jellyworms of that size is a light spinning Rod, I'll show u the sort I use at the Next Forum Meet.

Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:32 pm

You can also increase your distance by getting a long casting plug. Some are just big and heavy, like the Rebel Windcheater. Others resist tumbling like the Mean Far Out (no longer available) or the Rapalla Long Cast. Others have magnetic ball bearings, that go to the tail during the cast (weight forward), and then settle back in the centre on magnets for the retreive, ie Yo Zuri Tobimaru and Magnet Minnow etc or the Duel Aile Magnet or SB slider.

If you can, it helps to go to a place with the wind at your back!