fishing abroad

Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:40 pm

A bit off topic , but has anyone fished on the Algarve before ? I'm off on Thursday and want to do a bit of fishing. Any advice welcome.

Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:27 am

Years ago fished off the harbour waal at albuferia on the algarve, caught garfish on limpet baits picked from the harbour wall. There's a tackle shop in albuferia aswell sells a lot of sea fishing gear. If your staying in Pria da Rocha walk along the promenade towards albuferia and you can't miss the Harbour wall it extends a fair way out and the locals do a fair bit of fishing from it.

Hope that's of help to you.

fishing abroad

Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:57 am

Hi Conor

BTW you have a PM.

If you are up early, the locals fish off the beaches with large squid baits looking for corvina, like bass only bigger (a lot bigger!). They tended to give up once the sun got bright , whether that was the tourists or the sun I do not know. With all the rocky headlands I would have thought rock fishing would be possible and productive, for bream and the like, but saw no one doing it.

I was there in March so it could be a lot different in September. A good source of information is the charter boats - websites are not common ut they are out there. Pose as a possible customer and they will tell you everything, mind you have to take it all with a large pinch of salt...

FWIW