Snags and losses

Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:35 am

I've only just started sea fishing after a short career bothering trout, and am trying to begin with plugging/spinning/pirking off the rocks (as you do) before I go on to more complex stuff.
Having only been out a few times and caught little more than a pain in the head, one thing I have noticed is the hassle and expense of frequently getting snagged when using such gear in such terrain and having to pull and break. given that plugs are bloody dear and even german sprats are about two euro, I'm interested in minimising losses. Anyone any suggestions?
What I was thinking is this - is there a way if for example on a spinner or plug you could connect the trebles to the lure with a weaker link than the b/s of the main line? Is there a simple way of having, for example, the treble to the lure at 16lb b/s (random example) and the main line at 20lb - so that, obviously, when you pull and break you only lose the treble and not the whole lure.
do any tackle bods do such links commercially? has anyone ever tried anything like this before?

Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:19 pm

Yeah.

You could replace the treble with a single hook, if it's on the trailing end of the lure. Tie it on with whatever b/s mono takes your fancy.

Or, there is this gizmo: Pro rigger Weak links. Leastways, that's what they're called on this American site:

http://www.leadertec.com/Tacklestore_access.html

I've got a few, or something similar, somewhere. Got them years ago as a freebie with one of the magazines. Never used them though, so I dunno how good they are.

Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:04 pm

Luresavers also work. they work like a weak link and come in different breaking strain to suit the line , kit you are using. Look like a split ring. They replace the split ring on your treble. they only come loose on steady applied pressure as opposed to lunges of a hooked fish.
Only problem is they are bloody expensive. Though if one saves a pirk twice, it's paid for itself !!

see this link - http://www.ultimateluresaver.com/prostaff.cfm

Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:39 pm

Aha, here's the UK version of what I was talking about:

http://www.fishtek.co.uk/LureSaver/LureSaver.jsp

Confusingly, it's got pretty much the same name as the item mentioned above by Conor, though it's nothing like it.

Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:44 pm

Alternatively:

Try spinning with a leadhead and jelly worm attached if at deep water where there are Pollock (Or off a boat). Or use a (Storm or other) casting Shad (The ones with the lead on the head for weight) which have a single hook coming out through the back (These are supposed to be very good for any predator). Both are cheap with leadheads costing about €1 with another few cents for the jellyworm, a pack of 4 4" Shads for about €7 in most tackle shops. The line will pull them over the weed and they don't get caught (much) as there is no downward pointing hook.
Last edited by Adrian on Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:51 pm

not one for self promotion ...BUT ....
€1 per leadhead ?? €7 per 4 4" shads !!! ??
someone is cleaning up - must raise my prices !! :wink:

Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:55 pm

Conor

As I said Tackle shop prices. So, when are you sending me those Leadheads? I've only got 1 left in my tackle box and I had to pay €1.20 ea for the last ones. :wink:

snags and losses

Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:28 pm

Good points regarding the jelly/shad stuff - I had noticed them in the shop and will give them a try some time down the line. Having said that I intend to use plugs for pike as well and... well to be honest had just wondered why on earth this wasn't standard practice, given that a plug costs anything up to 13 or 14 euro.

snags and losses

Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:32 pm

actually that last point is self-explanatory
given that a plug costs up to 13 or 14 euro it's in the manufacturer's best interests that as many as possible end up at the bottom of the drink.

Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:29 pm

Hi Adrian,
If you haven't received that sample yet, it should be with you very soon,

Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:29 am

Thanks Conor :D

Rockyb,

You've hit the nail on the head, apparantly the Navan angling centre stock the split rings Conor mentioned above.

Freshwater spinning isn't as hard on plugs as the sea as you don't get large rafts of tough sea weed on or under the surface which sometimes can't be seen. When freshwater spinning from the shore losses usually occurr when you get caught in the bottom and it's very rare that you will loose a plug if fishing from a boat. Plugs basically operate at 3 different debths: surface or close to surface, mid debth, and deep down (right at the bottom) If fishing from the shore avoid the last type as you are guaranteed to have losses, if fact (For Pike - Getting away from sea angling here) the last type should only really be used from a boat in deep water on a hot day as the pike retreat to deep water when it gets hot. Most Bass plugs are designed to swim about 3 feet under the surface.
Apparantly those casting shads are deadly for pike as well.
Also useful to buy plugs that float rather than sink when stationary.

snags and losses

Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:28 am

Good advice adrian thanks