Switch to full style
Specimen corner - Post your reports of Specimen Fish caught from the shore here.
Topic locked

painted ray

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:32 am

Species: Painted ray, 5.14kg/11.3lbs

Specimen Weight: 4.536kg

Irish record: 7.8kg

Bait: sand eel and crab claws

Rigs: long and low, size 2 hook.

Report:
fished an east cork beach in hope of a ray or two and got three :D . first one about 4ish lbs, second one was less than 2lbs then spotted another very timid bite so left it develop. the fish seemed to disappear so went to change bait. lifted into a heavy weight and knew i had something decent on. as i got it in the shallows it kited off to the right and tangled with the mainline on the second rod and i started panicking as i was on my own. grabbed the scissors and cut the leader to free it up and brought it ashore. quick weight, few pics and back it went. it sat there for about 4/5 mins before it eventually flapped its wings and swam off. after putting it on the ruler i forgot to measure it but it looks to be in the high 70's or low 80's in the pic. hard to judge properly as the ruler isn't straight.
came in at 5.14kgs or 11.3lbs. my first specimen fish :D
Attachments
phpfuFYQaAM.jpg
phpfuFYQaAM.jpg (94.71 KiB) Viewed 2799 times
phpUVJSZSAM.jpg
phpUVJSZSAM.jpg (71.15 KiB) Viewed 2799 times

Re: painted ray

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:24 am

Nice one red that's some good angling 8)
Never had a painted but hope to change the this year :wink:

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:51 am

WOW.Someday I must make a go at these.There seems to be some great reports appearing lately.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:28 am

fantastic :!:
interesting bait
well done 8)

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Fine ray Denis great stuff 8)

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:51 pm

chuckaroo wrote:interesting bait

i reckon crab legs/claws are a very under rated bait for a lot of species. i had a ray of about 5lbs two weeks ago on just claws.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:04 pm

PANIC STATIONS :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: oucha denis boy.......a daaaaaaaaaysent ray my friend, fine fish altogether.........

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:58 pm

congrats to your first specimen fish Denis, may there be many more to follow :)

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Congrats denis,

Thats a fine ray,the joys of being able to fish the beaches in east cork,spent many an evening and night fishing them.

Congrats again

JOHN A

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:41 am

Nice one Dennis well done. :P

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:26 am

Lovely ray dennis well done 8)

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:33 am

That's a cracking ray well done m8, those big lunges the big ray make can be heart stopping in the heat of the fight:-)

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:53 am

nice specimen Dennis, you must be very pleased
Topic locked