Killybegs trip

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:17 am

Before heading up to Killybegs the forecast was some rain till about 11am then a bit of clear weather till 3 or 4 pm then back to showers and wave height of less than a metre so we said a "bit of rain never hurt anybody", but were we wrong. It came down in bucket fulls all day and with the dark cloud overhead it made for very mixed seas and swell was over a metre and very choppy till we headed in early at 4pm.We had planned on heading out a few miles if we got mackerel and do a bit of sharking but not a chance on this sort of a day. So we stuck it out in the rain and drifted inshore bays, lots of mackerel, scad, dogs, flounder, dabs, pollock, a few thornback ray and I asked a fellow angler on this site roughly where he got spotted ray and he kindly gave me some marks so thanks to him again as I got a few at his numbers but then I was in another bay I fished before where I got thornies but now I couldnt get past spotted ray. Next job is to get undulate or cuckoo. So all in all not a bad day fish wise but it was just one of those days best forgotten cos we couldnt even have our tea and sambos with the rocking boat and every time we moved to do anything it was a case of hooks catching in the carpet, your trousers, rope, fuel lines etc. Frustrating but thats fishing. Remember if it doesnt look too good inshore dont think it will get better 10 miles out, stay safe lads.

Re: Killybegs trip

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:36 pm

A tough day out Alan, I held off until Tuesday (report almost ready!) and from your report I'm glad I did; we're supposed to do this for pleasure. Well done on getting your spotty ray, off to Kerry for your undulate, don't know where to recommend for a cuckoo, I put my only one down to pure chance!

Re: Killybegs trip

Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:11 pm

Thanks again but no getting out this week. Just a few running repairs like fixing light board (prob just a loose connection) ,putting in a new bilge pump and greasing everything.