Enterprise Kilmore Quay Saturday 30th March 2019

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Five of us out with Dick Hayes on the Enterprise today.

Lovely day out weather pleasant and sunny, tides light, nice easy drift.

Plenty of pollack about in the 2-3lb bracket biggest about 4lb. Hit the coalies for a while - great action with full strings of 2-3lb coalies coming on board. Handful of cod biggest about 3lb, three ling same, a mix of ballan and cuckoo wrasse. Oh and one gannet - returned unharmed!

Nothing huge but enjoyable fishing and the coalies provided good sport.

A mix of rigs, hokkais, sabikis, jelly worms and lures. Most of the cod on baited rigs but other than that no real difference. A lot of the fish seemed to be eating crab.

Pajo

Re: Enterprise Kilmore Quay Saturday 30th March 2019

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:14 pm

Nice fishing

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:38 am

pajo wrote:Five of us out with Dick Hayes on the Enterprise today.

Lovely day out weather pleasant and sunny, tides light, nice easy drift.

Plenty of pollack about in the 2-3lb bracket biggest about 4lb. Hit the coalies for a while - great action with full strings of 2-3lb coalies coming on board. Handful of cod biggest about 3lb, three ling same, a mix of ballan and cuckoo wrasse. Oh and[i] one gannet - returned unharmed![/i]

Nothing huge but enjoyable fishing and the coalies provided good sport.

A mix of rigs, hokkais, sabikis, jelly worms and lures. Most of the cod on baited rigs but other than that no real difference. A lot of the fish seemed to be eating crab.

Pajo

Hope the same can be said for the angler that "caught" it!

Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Oh that would be me! One for the species count! Ironically I had just remarked to Dick that there were very few gannets about. I didn't realise there were lads gutting fish on the other side of the boat and when I dropped three hokkais with a small squid on the bottom feather three of them dived after it. One lad got his wing snagged on the hooks. I gave him a few minutes to see if he could free himself but no joy so I had to wind him in to the boat. He was one f***ing big bird and he was not happy! Dick got a towel over his head and held on to him and he calmed down enough for us to free him.