Courtmacsherry Saturday June 23rd 2018

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Courtmacsherry Saturday June 23rd 2018

Postby pajo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi all,

Eight of us went out with Mark Gannon on the Lady Louise. We didn't get out to the wrecks but we had a great day out, fabulous weather and great fishing. Fishing off the Old Head of Kinsale, the scenery was second to none.

First stopped off to pick up some mackerel - strings of fine sized mackerel coming aboard. I had brought some from Dublin in the car on Friday just in case (thankfully in a sealed bucket). When I opened the bucket on the boat the smell nearly knocked me out! Needless to say they went overboard fairly sharpish.

Anyone getting down past the mackerel was hit by not just one but two or three very lively pollack in the 4-6lb bracket. Great craic.

We spent a while drifting on the reefs while the pollack were on the feed. Good hard-fighting fish up to about 6lb along with a couple of small cod. There seemed to be mackerel everywhere and good sized ones too. Mark didn't spare the horses moving from one spot to another and didn't hang about when nothing was happening. The mackerel and pollack were stuffed with small sandeel and were hammering anything that resembled one.

We anchored up for conger for a while on some rough ground and had a steady stream of conger and ling to the boat. Conger to about 20lb and some nice ling to about 12lb. Not the biggest fish seen down there but great entertainment and very enjoyable fishing. Simple rig - single 8/0 hook under a muppet on a short heavy mono trace (80-100lb), fished off a boom with a 10-12oz lead to hold the sea bed. Big mackerel fillet, head and guts, or flapper all took conger and ling with a couple of dogfish and huss for variety. Worthwhile incorporating a swivel either on the boom or as part of the trace - saves a mess when the eel starts spinning. Also worth checking the trace after each fish - they can do a fair bit of damage with their teeth.

After the tide turned we went back on the drift and tried a combination of shads, jellyworms, and baited feathers but it went quiet for a while. Sighting porpoises, a sunfish and a minke whale made up for it though.

All in all great day out - on the water from 10:00am to 6:00pm. Well worth the trip. Stayed at Woodpoint - ideal as it is a long drive from Dublin.

A bit light on the pictures I'm afraid I'll try to get more next time.

Pajo
Attachments
IMG_4312 small.png
IMG_4303 small.png
IMG_4302 small.png

For this message the author pajo has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:53 pm), mickser (Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:36 am)
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Re: Courtmacsherry Saturday June 23rd 2018

Postby chuckaroo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:51 pm

nice report pajo
looked like a crackin day out
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby johnwest » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Great report pajo, some nice fish and a bit of wildlife too. I'm heading down that direction (Clonakilty ) in a few weeks, hope the mackerel are still plentiful as I've spent too much time getting them in recent years. Some good tips there also for the conger and ling.
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby jellybait » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 am

nice fishing , cracking part of the country
jellybait
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby pajo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks all.

Yes it's a lovely spot down there alright.

Enjoy that JohnWest - Clonakilty is a grand spot. I think there are a few bream knocking around there too.

Tight Lines.
Pajo

For this message the author pajo has received thanks:
johnwest (Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 pm)
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports