South Dublin 16 and 17 Jan

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:04 pm

16 and 17 Jan
Coliemore and Shankill
Crab, lug and mussel

Had a couple of days off to try get some fishing in and despite the weather, managed to make the most of it. Thursday I planned to fish Corbawn lane but when I went to Killiney to check it out, the conditions were not in keeping with the Westerly winds I was expecting! Six foot plus swells onto the beach, not a hope of leads holding and a pretty unpleasant fishing environment.

Moved on to Coliemore thinking I'd have a look at least. It was quite fishable so I said I'd give it a try. Amazingly, 6oz was holding bottom even with the tide running quite strongly and a decent bit of swell moving through from the east. No bites despite my best efforts and when the weed started coming through in rafts and knocking all rigs free almost as soon as they touched bottom I called it a day before I started feeling battered by the weather. Tomorrow's another day! On the way back I said I'd check out the conditions around the east pier in Dun Laoghaire and while it was getting hammered out by the bandstand it was very settled in around Scotsman's Bay. Definitely noted for future rough conditions. Looks like there would be some codling and pouting about. Anyone even drag much out of there?

Decided to give Shankill another go and thankfully the weather played ball today! Went down in the afternoon and set up. High tide was about 1650 so getting there for about 1400 I knew I could be waiting, and I've never done well there in daylight, but it was a great day to be out, and I got to admire my newly rebuilt AFAW Match done by Mike Roache in the sun!

I started getting a few knocks after moving about 30m to get away from persistent snags and managed a 22cm five bearded rockling, so a good start before it even got dark! As the light faded the hits started coming, typical coalie type smacks, and eventually connected with a nice 32cm coalie which somehow managed to get foul hooked with both hooks of a pennel rig, one in the head and one in the side like a pike deadbait! Next up was a 27cm codling and by now I was pretty delighted with myself and had declared the expedition a roaring success (my bar is low at the moment...)

Got a couple of good thumping bites then so picked up and struck into it and felt a good weight. As I wound in it started scrapping and was running up the beach close in. I wondered whether it was a bass or something at this point, but it eventually hit the stones and was a lovely fat codling. 42cm and a good three pounds. Over the moon! Things went quiet shortly after that about an hour down the tide. Still occasional bites but they weren't connecting and the small edible crabs along that stretch were hammering baits. All the fish came to lug and mussel. The crab only seemed to be feeding their brethren! I hooked another good fish and got it about halfway in before it buried itself in a snag and that was sadly not to be, felt similar to the previous codling, which has a date with homemade chips and tartare sauce tomorrow now. Packed up shortly after that, having taken the good fish on the AFAW so a nice return to the shore for it. Only took a photo of the good codling as the rest went back as quickly as possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: South Dublin 16 and 17 Jan

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:42 am

Great fishing- to catch 40 cm+ codling near dublin from shore.well done.

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:16 am

That area is a good spot. I had them regularly there last year but this is the first of that stamp I've had this winter. I was getting very disheartened but funny how a fish like that makes up for a lot of time and bait and lost rigs! Back in work tomorrow and will use quiet time to replenish the rig wonders.

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:11 pm

Nice catching there.
Going out today myself a bit further north to a place that most call barren. Oddly enough I've never blanked on it. Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself by saying that.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:05 pm

That's some lovely fishing and great report... Was thinking if heading there next week when I'm off. I've done killiney but no look weather wasnt the best either. I was thinking of trying off the "vico bathing place". Water seem very very deep. Ever try there is it even possible

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:12 pm

I've not tried. I took a look down there but it's got no fishing signs up. Same as yourself though it looked great to me. I'd imagine at night it wouldn't be in use but I didn't chance it yet myself.

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:44 am

Well worth the time and effort, nice cod for the pan too.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Well done on the cod! Fished corbawn lane yesterday myself, started around 2pm finished around 7pm, ended up with a couple of coalfish, 2 dabs and a rockling....no cod but a decent little session, all fish were landed after dark

Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:15 pm

Thoroughly underrated little stretch of coastline there! And so convenient. The ground is good and rough though in places so can be hard on the rig wallet!

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:27 am

Gonna give shankhill a go next weekend at night but will be fishing the low tide. Does it fish well at low

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:21 am

I've never had any success there over low really but haven't done enough fishing at that stage of the tide to be conclusive either.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:41 am

Thanks for that. Might head further and get there one night at full..

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:30 pm

I'd be of the same opinion. Somewhere from Greystones to about Killoughter would be perfect in my view.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:24 pm

I was even thinking Wexford ballinesker or ballyvalden. It's where I would usually go

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Dave F wrote:I'd be of the same opinion. Somewhere from Greystones to about Killoughter would be perfect in my view.

Gonna give shankhill a go Monday or Tuesday. Never fished there so any advice on where to fish there and park etc