A Tiddler-A-Cast on the Fly - Glens of Antrim

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:03 pm

A bit of milder weather today saw me out for the first time in over a month
Decided to forego the hassle of the big rods, bait and tackle and instead just packed the fly rod
It was a fish a cast, easily 30+ tiddler pollack, biggest maybe 6-7oz - TINY
An up-size on the fly resulted in no bigger fish so packed up just as the rain started
Didn't fish for more than 45mins but being kept company by two big seals, a cormorant and a herring, it was nice to be out having a chuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: A Tiddler-A-Cast on the Fly - Glens of Antrim

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:27 pm

Busy 45 mins there! Think those are coalies, get them on a Mayfly Emerger? Not too long before I dust down my own fly gear but with trout in mind.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:54 am

What weight rod were you using? I would love to catch a pollock on the fly down here. Even A 1 lb pollock would be great craic on a fly rod

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:02 pm

shortcircuit wrote:What weight rod were you using? I would love to catch a pollock on the fly down here. Even A 1 lb pollock would be great craic on a fly rod

i was over-gunned shortcircuit, it was a #7 and the fighting wee fish only flickered the tip of it, lol
yeah, a pollack over 1lb is better craic. would recommend giving it a go

johnwest wrote:Busy 45 mins there! Think those are coalies, get them on a Mayfly Emerger? Not too long before I dust down my own fly gear but with trout in mind.

pretty sure that they were all wee pollack JW - dark lateral line, brown backs, some mottling on the skin and fins.. as opposed to the white lateral line of the coley which are usually paler in colour too
Think that the protruding lower jaw of a pollack isn't always as pronounced in juveniles ?

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:34 pm

What size was the herring.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 pm

coamlaja wrote:What size was the herring.

lol. that's not the first time I've done that
herON was about 3lb :lol: