camera

Forum to discuss the use of cameras and photographic techniques when you record your catch.

Moderators: JimC, MAC

camera

Postby croppyboy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:25 pm

Hi Lads
Can anyone recommend a decent digital camera that wont break the bank that i can take pics both day and night

fintan
Shore Species 2020 lsd flounder hound

New species 2020
Boat species 2020
New Boat species 2020
Specimans 2020
croppyboy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby roger de dodger » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:36 pm

My personal preference is cannon as they seem to take a lot of abuse and keep working fuji seem quite good my sis got a sony and i was not impressed with the picture quality of pictures taken with the flash at night
pixmania.ie is very good site and cheaper than most shops think delivery is free to
if the camera is only for fishing the buy and sell always has a few bargains
roger :)
ps. i got a new one at christmas with a photo printer included and am having trouble getting the cartridge for it and it works out much cheaper to print them out in a kodak machine in a chemist
roger de dodger
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 716 times
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Pat Spillane » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:30 pm

I have a Canon which I find OK both day and night. Dunnes stores had a camera before Chrismas which had a good enough spec. As roger said dont buy a printer its far more economical to get them done in one of the outlets. I also bought a cheap one to bring with me to the beach but forget it most of rthe time
The Martini angler:- Anyfish anywhere anytime
Pat Spillane
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby peacockealot » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:22 pm

Why not try ebay there are some good second hand aswell as brand new ones on there. And they are a hell of a lot cheaper than what u would pay in a high street shop.
peacockealot
SAI Bait Ball

Postby fenitbob » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:47 pm

hi
try sites like pixmania.com or amazon.co.uk and decide what you want to spend features to look
    megapixel
    type of sensor,
    what kind of memory card does it have,
    will you want to print the pictures you are taking? if you are you will probably need to veer towards the higher megapixel cameras.
    Battery life

thats all i can think of at the moment.

ther are plenty of new models out at the moment so the older models will be cheaper and they will still have plenty of capability

when i was looking my camera i decided what I wanted to spend

went to pixmania and amazon to see what i could get then went to http://www.dpreview.com to see if they had a review of it.
look for proper reviews not the ones by people who just bought the camera just read the first and last page of the review if you do not know anything about photography and you should be alright.

good luck

I have a canon too and I really like it BUT olympus have a camera that is waterproof to 5 meters and will withstand shocks from a drop of 1.5 meters so that might useful for fishing. I put my camera in a plastic bag and hang it around my neck :D
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby bigstyle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:22 am

I just got a Fujifilm finepix F30 and its great (€230 not cheap tho) but my last camera was a "traveller" model i got from Aldi. Everyone i showed said it was unreal until i lost it or it was stolen :cry: . 7m pix, 512mb, case, etc etc €179. Keep an eye out, if anyone sees them grab one, class camera.
bigstyle
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Al » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:32 am

bigstyle wrote:I just got a Fujifilm finepix F30 and its great (€230 not cheap tho) but my last camera was a "traveller" model i got from Aldi. Everyone i showed said it was unreal until i lost it or it was stolen :cry: . 7m pix, 512mb, case, etc etc €179. Keep an eye out, if anyone sees them grab one, class camera.

Absolute brilliant camera my girlfriend has one and i use it a good bit myself..the quality of the pictures are really good and clear even on a high enough zoom! Hope they do get them in stock again i want my own one :)
Al
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 112 times

Postby Last Cast » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:59 am

I bought my first digital camera 5 months ago a Pentax Optio M10.Its easy to use not hard on batteries and takes good quality night photos.It was just under 200 euro but doesnt come with a bag or memory card both of which you will need.Its operating manual is easy to follow overall I cant fault it.
Last Cast
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Camera

Postby JimC » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:58 pm

I use a Sony DSC 10. Not available anymore. I would have no hesitation in buying another Sony. I hear good reports from the Pentax Optio W20. Waterproof and available with offers including 1GB card, case, spare battery etc. I think if I was buying I'd try one of these. 5 megapixel is plenty. I think the W20 is 7. The T20 is a similar camera but not waterproof. This crowd have good offers from time to time:
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default ... ARCH&comp=
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby bigstyle » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:15 pm

Below is a link to an ALDI 'traveller' camera. Not the same one i had but for 100 yoyos where can you go wrong? 3 year warranty to got with it.
Last time there was a queue outside at 9 bells in the morning so if your interested better get down there early.

[url]http://ireland.aldi.com/special_buys/productnl_114.html[/url]
bigstyle
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Cameras and Photography