Taking cracking photos

Forum to discuss the use of cameras and photographic techniques when you record your catch.

Moderators: JimC, MAC

Taking cracking photos

Postby JimC » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:26 pm

There is nothing better than catching a good fish. There is nothing better than recording the fact for yourself or for later publishing online or in a magazine. The “trophy shot” can be a super shot but there’s some things to be considered in order to get that perfect shot:

Firstly, forget about the superstitions regarding having a camera in you bag or tacklebox. Carry your camera on all occasions

We’ll assume that people are using a compact digital camera.
Mobile phone cameras are really not up to taking good pictures.
A 3 million megapixel camera is more than adequate.
Select the highest resolution available.

Always take the picture in the context of where it is caught. Boat caught fish should be taken on board. Shore caught fish should be pictured on the shoreline. Pictures taken in the pub or backyard do not work!
If you are worried that your secret mark will be revealed then it is often better to get above the subject and take the picture into the boat with the sea behind. From the shore, select an angle that does not include landmarks.

If you can’t take a picture of the live fish then be careful how the fish is stored. Pictures of a fish bent and discoloured from a fishbox or bag do not work!

In this respect, ideally the fish should be pictured when alive/fresh.

Watch for lighting. Have the sun behind the person taking the picture. If it is dark or gloomy then use the flash. Even in good light conditions it is often advisable to use a flash anyway, it can show off the fish to great effect. You will have to set the camera to “forced flash”. Experiment with your flash, you may have a “fill in” flash setting that will make many pictures look brilliant. On my little Sony camera that I use for all pictures the fill in is the “SL” setting.

Watch your focus. On my camera (normally on an “auto” setting) it is best to half press the button first, the camera will focus properly and then when the button is pressed you’ll get a good result.

Take a few shots at a time. You’d be surprised how sick you’ll be if you notice that you have chopped the head off your subject when you check out the pics at home!

Finally, don’t be afraid to fill the screen with the fish. In most cases you want the fish to be the main object of the photo.

If putting the picture on-line then it is best to size down the picture. (a simple way to do this is to use your email programme).

Happy snapping.

I’m no expert on photos so feel free to add any other helpful hints.

For this message the author JimC has received thanks:
eborb (Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:37 pm)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby SeanP » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:48 pm

Nice one Jim, just one other thing, if shooting with the the horizon in the pic try and keep it level, it can be altered after but better to get it right in the first place.
Sean,
SeanP
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Donagh » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:01 am

When taking photos at night make sure the person holding the fish has their headlamp switched off or there'll be a big blob of light.

If anyone has any other tip of taking photos at night I'd love to hear them as mine tend to be poor. It takes an age for my camera to take a photo. I press the botton for about a minute ( I presume trying to focuse) before it flashes. I leave my own headlamp on so as not to startle the person I'm taking the photo of with the flash. I have beaut of al picture at home of me with a huss with my eyes closed when we switched all lights off.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Tanglerat » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:17 pm

And move rods out of the way before taking the pic. Nothing worse that a pic of some guy looking like he's sprouting antennae!

Try framing the subject really tight. What you want is a pic of angler and fish, so get them big in the frame.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby Jonny » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:22 pm

All good advice.Thanks lads. :D 8)
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
Jonny
Wayward Legs

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby fenitbob » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:34 pm

most digital cameras have a half 'way mark' that if you push it starts to auto focus. so press half way to auto focus. then when you do press release the wating time should not be so long.

Try to have an idea what you want the photo to look like before you take the pic
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Davy Murdoch » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:35 pm

It also helps if the person you are fishing with knows how to work your camera so you will get good quality photos.They should also know where abouts in your tackle box you keep it,that way you can get a photo and return the fish as quickly as possible.Digital cameras allow you to get great photos everytime because you can look at it straight away,if its no good simply take another.But you can only keep a fish out of the water for so long before you have to return it,so when im fishing on my own i bring a mini tripod for my camera and attach it before i start fishing then find a suitable place to set it up,i`ll sometimes even take a few practise shots to get it in the right position.It looks daft when you are crouched down pretending to hold a fish while taking photos of yourself but once you`ve put the fish back you cant take another photo so its worth looking stupid for a couple minutes.
Davy Murdoch
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby roger de dodger » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:26 pm

if taking a photo at night of a fish on the beach or rocks dont shine your headlight directly at the fish focus it a few inches away this stops the camera chip taking forever to make up its mind on apropriate settings
dont know why but it works and cuts down on the bass flash effect
roger de dodger
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 716 times
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Donagh » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:01 am

Thanks Rodger,

I'll try that next time.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby chrisfeeney30 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:26 pm

good advice. thanks
Galway Bay S.A.C member 2012
chrisfeeney30
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby teacher » Tue May 15, 2007 11:03 pm

roger de dodger wrote:cuts down on the bass flash effect

"Bass Flash", like "red eye", the bain of night time bass anglers :D
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby MAC » Wed May 16, 2007 12:47 pm

Stopping the flash off a fish at night is difficult..... If possible try to reduce the flash power on your camera.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby JimC » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:35 pm

Wintertime update:

When you arrive to the beach or out on the boat make sure to let your camera acclimatise. If you pull a camera out of your pocket on a cold day/night there’s a good chance the lens will fog up and take a while to clear.

Best to take the camera out and let the lens get accustomed to the cold (obviously making sure the camera is kept dry).

For night time pictures: In addition to the many useful comments above it worth trying the “night” or “dark” setting on your camera. Ideally you would be better off using a rest or tripod as the camera will be prone to “shake”. Experiment with this setting while using your normal setting as well.

Happy snapping.
:)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Re: Taking cracking photos

Postby brian perry » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:52 pm

great advice lads,now all i need is to catch some fish :D
brian perry

Postby jd » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Definitely worth a read again!
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby kristine71 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:20 am

I read the advices given by you people it is nice and quite interesting thing i came to know.Keep sharing.
kristine71

Postby jameila » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:32 am

It is not so much easy to taking pieces of fishes by camera. Great information shared.
Good advice on taking cracking photos.
Thanks for sharing this useful post.

Keep it.
jameila

Re:

Postby saving private brian » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:13 am

the eye closed at nite is a common thing donagh.i struggle durin the day never mind at nite :mrgreen:
Donagh wrote:When taking photos at night make sure the person holding the fish has their headlamp switched off or there'll be a big blob of light.

If anyone has any other tip of taking photos at night I'd love to hear them as mine tend to be poor. It takes an age for my camera to take a photo. I press the botton for about a minute ( I presume trying to focuse) before it flashes. I leave my own headlamp on so as not to startle the person I'm taking the photo of with the flash. I have beaut of al picture at home of me with a huss with my eyes closed when we switched all lights off.

Donagh
saving private brian
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 180 times

Postby cathald » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:00 am

A little piece of tissue paper over the flash will diffuse the light so that the fish won't act as a mirror when photographing a fish with the flash on
2011 species so far
coalfish,plaice,dab flounder,turbot,sea trout,thornback ray,pollock,ling,mackeral

One day.. Facebook, Youtube, Myspace and Friendster will come together as one. It will be called, FookYouMyFriend.
cathald
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby Rayfisher » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:53 am

try using night mode/night portrait. make sure you've had a good mess with the camera before setting off so you know all its tricks! there are also filters available for some of the digital SLR types out there.
Rayfisher
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Cameras and Photography