info on cameras

Forum to discuss the use of cameras and photographic techniques when you record your catch.

Moderators: JimC, MAC

info on cameras

Postby coaster » Thu May 11, 2006 1:29 am

hello all.
anybody out there know about SLR cameras. I have a good nikon 35mm cam with a selection of lenses and am thinking of making the change to digital. Can the lenses that I now use be used on the digi camera :?:
coaster
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby stevecrow74 » Thu May 11, 2006 3:38 am

hummm....

i'm not sure about nikon being interchangeable.. (Just trying to think what connection they have!!)...

best thing to do is bring your SLR with you when looking at digitals and compaire sizes...

one of the better digital cameras that seem to be ahead of the rest are cannon... for the simple reason that all the various attachments fit all models of camera... girlfriend has cannon EOS300 (i think its that model) which is a handy 35mm camera, and if she upgrades to digital there's no need to buy more lenses as they are interchangeable....

I'm sure with nikon being a big enough camera manufacturer that they should have same lense connections, it'd be a pity if they didnt...

i'd say a quick search on the net and you'ld find out... :)
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Lee337 » Thu May 11, 2006 4:36 am

Know that all cannon EF lenses are interchangeable but the one thing I remember from when I was looking into it is that the focal length of the lens changes if you use a 35mm lens on a digital back ( something to do with the fact that the CCD is less than 35mm diagonally).

My advice would be to go to a good photography shop and ask for advice.

Lee
Even a bad days fishing is better than working.

[url]http://www.ulstercastingclub.org[/url]
Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby MAC » Thu May 11, 2006 7:39 am

Feck the good photography shop.... I help you out... :D

What type of Nikon Body do you have at the moment and more importantly what lenses do you have. Most of the Nikon lenses will be interchangeable with the DSLR's like the D70, D70's and D200.
The older IS & AIS lenses will have limited funtions available and metering will have to be manual.

Lee Raised a good point. Unless you are thinking of blowing €5k on a Nikon D2X your lens focal lenght will change. This is due to the CCD (Sensor) being smaller. The correction for the Nikons is 1.4. So a 20mm - 70mmlens turns into a 28mm - 98mm lens. For portriats and such this is of no major problem, but the bain of most digital owners is the expense of having to buy quite an expensive lens to get good wide angles for landscapes photos. This is where a Digital Nikon Lens (DX) comes in handy. If you buy a DSLR, my advice would be to choose a package with the Nikon 18mm - 70mm (DX) lens. Then you should be covered for everything else with your other lenses.

You have my phone number if you need any more info or advice on what camera to buy.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby Bradan » Thu May 11, 2006 10:31 am

MAC wrote:Feck the good photography shop.... I help you out... :D

What type of Nikon Body do you have at the moment and more importantly what lenses do you have. Most of the Nikon lenses will be interchangeable with the DSLR's like the D70, D70's and D200.
The older IS & AIS lenses will have limited funtions available and metering will have to be manual.

Lee Raised a good point. Unless you are thinking of blowing €5k on a Nikon D2X your lens focal lenght will change. This is due to the CCD (Sensor) being smaller. The correction for the Nikons is 1.4. So a 20mm - 70mmlens turns into a 28mm - 98mm lens. For portriats and such this is of no major problem, but the bain of most digital owners is the expense of having to buy quite an expensive lens to get good wide angles for landscapes photos. This is where a Digital Nikon Lens (DX) comes in handy. If you buy a DSLR, my advice would be to choose a package with the Nikon 18mm - 70mm (DX) lens. Then you should be covered for everything else with your other lenses.

You have my phone number if you need any more info or advice on what camera to buy.

Kev

Couldn't have said it better myself Kev.... I had the Nikon F75 and upgraded to the Nikon D50, lenses work fine on both but like you said longer focal length when used on the digital. Got the 18-70mm lens with the D50 and its perfect for landscape and wider-angle shots. I know the D70 has a few more features but unless you're a pro the D50 is more than adequate for all situations....
:)
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby coaster » Thu May 11, 2006 1:09 pm

cheers all.
at the moment I have a Nikon F60 body with
Nikon 28-80mm,
Nikon 28-200mm,
and a sigma 70-300d mm.
coaster
SAI Sea Dog!