new Digital Camera

Forum to discuss the use of cameras and photographic techniques when you record your catch.

Moderators: JimC, MAC

new Digital Camera

Postby gfkelly1969 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:10 am

i was thinking of getting a new Digital Camera,i am looking for one that would take good quality photos and that has a very good zoom but i don't want a camera with a foot long lens i want to get one that i can carry around in my pocket while i am working,i have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T70 8.1 MP at the moment which is ideal size wise but the zoom is not as good as i would like it to be
can anyone recommend a good one
lifetime species fishing and rock pool
1 dogfish,2 whiting,3 flounder,4 two spot goby,5 mackerel,6 pollack,7 common blenny,8 European eel,9 butterfish,10 Deep-snouted pipefish,11 rock goby,12 poor cod,13 corkwing wrasse,14 coalfish,15 turbot,16 tompot blenny,17 dab,18 dragonet,19 shorerockling,20 thornback ray,21 three bearded rockling,22 sandeel,23 grey gurnard,24 sea scorpion,25 scad,26 plaice,27 ballen wrasse,28 bullhuss,29 conger eel,30 blue shark,31 blonde ray,32 cod,33 pouting,34 topknot,35 Fifteen-spine Stickleback,36 mullet,37 Sand Goby,38 Montagu's Blenny,39 Three-spined Stickleback,40 goldshinny wrasse,41 painted goby,42 five bearded rockling,43 Sand-Smelt,44 Small-headed Clingfish ,45 sole

http://clifdenfishing.webs.com

http://clifdensearay.webs.com/
gfkelly1969
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 223 times

Re: new Digital Camera

Postby cathalger » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:42 am

gfkelly1969 wrote:i was thinking of getting a new Digital Camera,i am looking for one that would take good quality photos and that has a very good zoom but i don't want a camera with a foot long lens i want to get one that i can carry around in my pocket while i am working,i have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T70 8.1 MP at the moment which is ideal size wise but the zoom is not as good as i would like it to be
can anyone recommend a good one

Hi Gfkelly,

The compact digitals are available now with high quality zooms. I plan to buy one myself before too long. The good zoom ones are going to be a bit more expensive. A friend lent me his Fujifilm (I think it is called a FinePix S1800) which has an 18x zoom. It is quite good for zooming in on birds and animals from under 60 feet or so, but Peter says that camera is already out of date. It is about years old and the zooms available now are way better eg 36x zoom on a compact digital. Problem is they are pricey, probably around 500 Euros at a guess, possibly more.

Last time I was chattin to Peter bout it he was talking mainly about canons, more later, I will try to get a link to a good compact with a high quality zoom.

--an example of a compact digital with a 20x zoom which doesnt seem crazy money;

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... 37435.html

I havent watched the video on it yet, I am in the same boat as yourself, I want a compact digital that I can wear while fishing but one which has a good zoom. I just havent done enough research on it yet.
2013 Sea Species:- Bass, Flounder, 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Whiting, red gurnard, grey gurnard, Pollack, coley, mackerel, sea trout, cant remember cos I didn't update at the time.....
2012 Sea species:- Pollack, Coley, Mackerel, Cod, Bass, Sea Trout, Haddock, Plaice, Dab, Flounder, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Pouting, Whiting, Corkwing Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Brown Trout caught on beach.
2011 Sea species:- codling, L.S. dogfish, coley, whiting, pollack(4lb 3oz), sea trout, shore conger eel (15lb), ballan wrasse, grey gurnard, plaice, dab (and lobster).
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 150 times

Postby cathalger » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:08 am

Just watched that video I posted above, he reckons its a great camera, I dont know how old that review is but I think I might want to buy something a bit more substantial than that one.
2013 Sea Species:- Bass, Flounder, 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Whiting, red gurnard, grey gurnard, Pollack, coley, mackerel, sea trout, cant remember cos I didn't update at the time.....
2012 Sea species:- Pollack, Coley, Mackerel, Cod, Bass, Sea Trout, Haddock, Plaice, Dab, Flounder, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Pouting, Whiting, Corkwing Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Brown Trout caught on beach.
2011 Sea species:- codling, L.S. dogfish, coley, whiting, pollack(4lb 3oz), sea trout, shore conger eel (15lb), ballan wrasse, grey gurnard, plaice, dab (and lobster).
cathalger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 150 times

Postby JPA » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:47 pm

For hostile environments (sea fishing sessions, ladies handbags, toddler birthday parties... :lol: ), I always go for a reliable sony cyber-shot. About the zoom, I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend.
2011 : pollack
2012 : whiting, dogfish, gurnard, flounder, smooth hound, poor cod, pollack, ballan wrasse, corkwing wrasse, goldshinny wrasse, blenny, bass, codling, rockling, dab, pouting, pollack, sea scorpion
2013 : codling(ie), rockling(ie), wrasse(fr), whiting(fr)
JPA
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 38 times

Postby JimH » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:34 pm

JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby billybob1013 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:25 pm

I have used many cameras over the years from dslr,s to compacts . My latest being a compact that takes 3D photos :D :D .

Back to your question , i would try the olympus mju790 , they are as good as any on the market , and are waterproof , shock proof , and if you scan amazon you might still get one , as they are very popular with outdoor people because of their spec. Hope this helps.
billybob1013
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 7 times

Return to Cameras and Photography