Bass Lure Fishing 2020

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

Bass Lure Fishing 2020

Postby Phortlairge » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:12 am

How's your season going this year?

It's absolutely boiling with Bass here in West Waterford this year, even better than last year. Water clarity is very bad for the last two/three weeks but we're still pulling fish out, mostly 4 to 8 pounders but I know a good few doubles have been caught too.

Using mostly hard lures ,feed shallows komomos, IMA hounds etc.

Will add a few pics but must downsize them first, either that or I'm too low on posts to be allowed upload pictures.
Phortlairge
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Re: Bass Lure Fishing 2020

Postby DarrenNiall » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:00 am

Hi Phortlairge, yeah it’s also a good year for them in Dublin. Had good results the past two years, but even better this year, especially considering I haven’t gotten out as much as I’d like to. I’ve had a good few fish between 5 & 6lb, all on shallow divers, small lures working particularly well earlier in the year, now onto 125 to 140mm sizes. It’s good to see the numbers of fish improving. Water clarity in Dublin has been very poor too, too much wind and rain, but a marked increase in the number of bass around Dublin. I used to travel south for the fish but now concentrated on the marks closer to home as there’s a bit of sport to be had, long may it continue. Best of luck in connecting with a double figure fish.
DarrenNiall
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 99 times

Postby JimC » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:02 pm

East cork and the harbour have been very inconsistent. Lots of small fish about it can be hard work to pull the bigger fish. Many committed bass men have even stopped fishing for bass. Water clarity has been an issue between wed and algae blooms. I've fished less for bass this year than any in the last 10! Hoping for a decent Sep/Oct.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Kevvv » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:52 pm

Have been trying in North Dublin all year but have blanked on every occasion. Might take a spin down south to try pick a few.

Fishing a mixture of soft plastic, surface and sub surface.
Kevvv
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby Gonzo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:40 pm

Kevvv wrote:Have been trying in North Dublin all year but have blanked on every occasion. Might take a spin down south to try pick a few.

I'm the same mate, lure fishing is tough out here, the only bass I've caught this year was from the beach in Portrane on peeler crab!
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby Kevvv » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:57 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Kevvv wrote:Have been trying in North Dublin all year but have blanked on every occasion. Might take a spin down south to try pick a few.

I'm the same mate, lure fishing is tough out here, the only bass I've caught this year was from the beach in Portrane on peeler crab!

Between us I’m sure we’ll catch one on lures... at least I hope!

Read on here recently some of the smaller lures and soft plastics have been successful lately.
Kevvv
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby Pat » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:46 pm

JimC wrote:East cork and the harbour have been very inconsistent. Lots of small fish about it can be hard work to pull the bigger fish. Many committed bass men have even stopped fishing for bass. Water clarity has been an issue between wed and algae blooms. I've fished less for bass this year than any in the last 10! Hoping for a decent Sep/Oct.

The bass have turned on again Jim. They've been gorging on idotea for the last few months on an unusually large bloom - probably due to the extended warm period earlier on. When they're that preoccupied its very hard to catch 'em.
Why not join Cobh SAC - looking for new members....
http://www.cobhsac.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobhsac

For this message the author Pat has received thanks:
JimC (Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:34 pm)
Pat
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 113 times

Return to Lure Fishing