Sea trout lures

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

Sea trout lures

Postby Poutingking1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi all, was hoping for a bit of advice on the best lures for sea trout. I Been fishing the Dingle area for the last 15 years but have never managed to catch myself a sea trout. Thanks in advance
Poutingking1
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Sea trout lures

Postby donal domeney » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 pm

Question: Is the area your are fishing known to produce sea trout. From reports on the site anglers seem to be catching sea trout on sandeel and slivers of mackerel while fishing static baits on the ground.
Do a search on the site for both seatrout and sea trout a few posts to read
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Poutingking1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 pm

I read that sea trout are caught from Trabeg the beach’s around Brandon. I have used static baits like Sandeel whilst bass fishing . I thought I may of picked one ip
Poutingking1
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Rod Tips » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:27 pm

Poutingking1 wrote:Hi all, was hoping for a bit of advice on the best lures for sea trout. I Been fishing the Dingle area for the last 15 years but have never managed to catch myself a sea trout. Thanks in advance

Hi poutingking, I don't really target them, although I have caught my fair share of them here on the east coast. My brother in law is a trout fanatic, sea and freshwater. I have accompanied him ( licenced ) for a few morning or evening sessions, he absolutely swears by the good old German sprat, especially in clearer water. He always, either pinches closed, the gape of treble hook to avoid snags and hook throwing, or replace the treble hook with a crab hook or small gauge circle hook, again pinching the hook closed a little. He has been using the Deadly Dick lures since last year and they are now his preferred our for sea trout, in murkier water he uses white or fluorescent ones.
Donal Domeney is right, sanders or long mackerel , slim fillets attract them big time , as most of my sea trout where on baits ( not targeted). Again , if you fish at night with a bit of a blow in a known mark, with long/ slim sandeel type baits or long mackerel strips, on a Pennel , easy peasy.
Rod Tips
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 98 times

Postby kieran » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:19 am

I had an ancient German sprat that had accidentally acquired a pink fluorescent flash (daughter's arts and crafts) which initially irritated me big time.
Then I found out that it as twice as effective as the plain old sprat.
She still doesn't know I nicked her can of spray paint to use on lures! Bad dad.
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Poutingking1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks lads for the info. I think I will get a couple of German spray bars. I have a couple in my box but I think are to big, they are about 5” long?
Poutingking1
SAI Lug Worm

Postby daveyboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Baitwise I find small slivers of mackerel about an inch long with excess flesh nipped off best best on short shank small hooks like size 4 or so. lurewise i like small metals like p boys or hanson lures from 7 gm up to 20 gm. I'd avoid big lures and big treble hooks personally.
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Poutingking1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info
Poutingking1
SAI Lug Worm

Postby cd07 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:06 pm

The smaller sized kiltys are brilliant for seatrout as are hansen strippers. I find white and pink lures particularly good for seatrout. With the kilty I would stick withe the smaller silver one
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby ollie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:32 am

Painted, epoxied and ready to go
Attachments
Seatrout.jpg
Seatrout spoons
ollie
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby Paddyak » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:28 am

I caught a nice wee Seatrout on a green Kelty lure in Dublin last week
.. Have also had bass on the same lure. Its my go too when the wind is up and need to get more distance.
Paddyak
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby PhilD13 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:04 pm

Paddyak wrote:I caught a nice wee Seatrout on a green Kelty lure in Dublin last week
.. Have also had bass on the same lure. Its my go too when the wind is up and need to get more distance.

So you lure fish for bass in dublin?? :D

Im just curious
PhilD13
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Lure Fishing