Braid problems

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:46 am

Well lads, I am have been having awful trouble with braid recently. I have been using Diawa J Braid 8 strand and it has been giving me nothing but hardship. I have not been getting nests or tangles its just the braid seems to have no strength snapping on a couple of occasions, even snapping in my finger as I cast - lost a few fish over it too!

I thought it may have been friction from fishing a rough mark but after stripping the majority of the line, I was still getting the same problems. Firstly, I suppose I am wondering can braid go bad? Secondly, any advice on other braids? I have been looking at Power Pro 4 strand.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Braid problems

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Crevan ,one of the users here who is a very experienced bass angler has had awful trouble with J Braid- he was completely let down by the quality to the point that he binned it.

Power Pro will never let you down but it is not as slick and smooth as the top braids so it will cut down on your casting distance.

Power Pro do an 8 strand braid but I don't know what it's like.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:55 pm

I use 15 kg 30 lb power pro on my beach reels great stuff I find but always carry a spare reel just in case of weed tangles or big surges tangling with the next angler. I use it on the lure rod also and had some lovely 8lb pollack on the shore running under shelfs and still landed them

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:17 pm

I use Berkley Whiplash a lot - they claim the 30lb stuff is only 0.10mm but it's actually probably a little bigger. However it's still pretty small diameter. It casts very well too - I've used it for monster coalfish and cod in N. Norway, and can't fault it. It's also quite reasonably priced - my only criticism is that it only comes in 300m spools while I'd like twice that for fishing the Norwegian fjords.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Power pro 8 strand is crap - the 4 strand is far superior

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks for the advice lads. I'll take it onboard and I'll have to make a decision because I am fairly sure I'm done J braid. Casting distance is something I might have to take a hit on which is a shame because I got an AGS during the summer and have been booming it out! I sound like some Diawa junky!

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:09 pm

Having said that about 4 strand powerpro, sunline castaway is my go to line in all breaking strains.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Thanks again Rory, do you have any experience with the Sufix Pro 8 Braid? Or does anyone?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:21 pm

http://www.henry-gilbey.com/fishing-lines-list/

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:04 pm

I tried using that j braid earlier in the season, as did two other lads I fish with. I found it poor, extremely poor at that. My friends did too. It broke under very slight pressure and fish and lures were lost before it was binned.

I replaced it with the Sufix 832 brad. I love it. While not silky smooth as other modern 8 strands it is thin enough and super strong.
I bought a 300m spool of 15lb in the USA which equates to roughly 30lb odd here. I use it for both shore and boat and love it. No problems whatsoever and by the look of it I'll be getting next year from it too.
I'll look at buying it again too when it does need replacing.

I've also used the power pro slick. I wasn't gone on it for the shore so I have it on a spare spool now for the boat.

If buying powerpro or sufix or any line from the U.S. be mindful of the difference in breaking strain. Base your choice on diameter rather than breaking strain.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:11 am

Sound for the advice lads and it was from Henrys blog that I seen sufix. Looks like I'll be investing in that. Tight lines!

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:32 am

I have 832 on a couple of reels. Lovely braid. 20lb - 0.13mm
I have also Strikepro Strikewire 20lb - 0.13mm no problems.
While I have heard some horror stories about the j-braid... could you have equipment issues? Cracked eye or something?

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:29 pm

I did think that at the time Jim. I checked all tip eyes, rings and line rollers, on all rods and reels and.....nothing.
Then the lads' braid began to fail too...one on a brand new rod.
Equipment was ruled out then.
Besides I've been using the 832 on the same equipment without issue.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi lads I just beaned my j-braid had issues after a few sessions it started to ravel. I changed over to sun line a very smooth braid so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:43 pm

Crevan wrote:I did think that at the time Jim. I checked all tip eyes, rings and line rollers, on all rods and reels and.....nothing.
Then the lads' braid began to fail too...one on a brand new rod.
Equipment was ruled out then.
Besides I've been using the 832 on the same equipment without issue.

I was thinking this for the OP (mullet purt), not you Crevan :D Obviously I knew you'd have checked :wink:

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:27 pm

JimC wrote:I have 832 on a couple of reels. Lovely braid. 20lb - 0.13mm
I have also Strikepro Strikewire 20lb - 0.13mm no problems.
While I have heard some horror stories about the j-braid... could you have equipment issues? Cracked eye or something?

Sorry only seen this now. No I checked my equipment, I was fishing the J braid with AGS, it's like a child to me its so well looked after haha turns out to be the line as I have fished sufix the past while and it has been no hassle. Thanks for the reply!

Tue May 16, 2017 3:35 pm

YGK G soul X3 - 20 Ib - used it all last season and the happiest I have been with a braid for some time. No wind knots, very reliable.

Fri May 26, 2017 9:20 am

I was using that Powerpro for a long time and changed over to the Suffix pro 8 last year. Both excellent, the only issue I have with the Suffix is that it's not great when you hit a snag, most times it will snap, whereas the powerpro is stronger and more resistant and will not result in too many lost lures.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Did anyone tried spiderwire stealth ? , i see good reviews on youtube but its rarely used braid

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm

I Have the spiderwire stealth in 20lb. havent had any issues with it , very good strength to it and ties really nicely to 10lb and 18lb leaders. seems to be very good on abrasion resistance too