lure fishing surf beaches

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

lure fishing surf beaches

Postby ATF » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:26 pm

would lure fishing the big surf beaches work throughout the winter months ? when ud usually see all the guys beachcasting ??
something like a big blackminnow on 40-60g jig head
ATF
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: lure fishing surf beaches

Postby roryodonnell » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:40 pm

If the surf is clear enough - you'd always stand a chance.
roryodonnell
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 187 times

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:38 am

Some of the best surf fishing in Kerry can be had from September through to the end of January. I see no reason as to why lures won't work up to the end of October, but whether bass will actively chase lures when the water temperature has dropped substantially over December/January is debatable. Only one way to find out though Zeke! Heading down to spend 7 days lure fishing in Kerry next week, can't come quick enough!

For this message the author Steve has received thanks:
zeke (Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:59 am)
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby ATF » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:43 am

a week down in Kerry fishing, thats sweet !
what part of Kerry are u heading to Steve?
ATF
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Steve » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:34 pm

Heading down Brandon direction. A little slice of heaven. A heavily netted little slice of heaven, but nevertheless!
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby ATF » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:51 pm

lovely spot alright, i do a good bit of lure fishing down around castlegregory - nice to have a few beers and some good grub in spillanes.
u ever take one of the boats out of brandon pier?
ATF
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:08 am

Sorry mate, was offline for a while. No, never used their service, for personal reasons which I won't go into here.

As per last year the bass were non-existent for me, but the sea trout fishing was very good. The last 2 years were the only years in the past twenty where I haven't caught a single bass. It's a real shame but not exactly a surprise to anyone who knows the "history" of the area. I'm not saying they don't exist, but you really have to put in the hours to get one. I met at least a dozen other lure anglers during my week, all told the same sorry story. The region has (had) the potential to be a bass fishing mecca, maybe someday it will be left alone to return to what it once was.
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby ste c » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:54 am

Why do you keep heading back to the same spot knowing the fishing is bad doesnt make sense, try around dungarvan or tramore.

Kerry fishing in general is nothing like it used to be
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby ATF » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:27 pm

cause sometimes the fishing doesnt matter, its helps if u catch a few though !
c'greg has been v poor this year compared to recent years, heading for a "romantic" weekend with the Mrs down to Glenbeigh.....im fishing, not sure what she's going to do, hill walking or some sh!te !!!
ATF
SAI Bait Ball

Postby keithmc » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:25 pm

Steve wrote:Sorry mate, was offline for a while. No, never used their service, for personal reasons which I won't go into here.

As per last year the bass were non-existent for me, but the sea trout fishing was very good. The last 2 years were the only years in the past twenty where I haven't caught a single bass. It's a real shame but not exactly a surprise to anyone who knows the "history" of the area. I'm not saying they don't exist, but you really have to put in the hours to get one. I met at least a dozen other lure anglers during my week, all told the same sorry story. The region has (had) the potential to be a bass fishing mecca, maybe someday it will be left alone to return to what it once was.

Hearing this stuff breaks my heart be it in fresh or salt water :x I presume the commercial sector is having an impact? Or is it the unofficial ''commercial sector''?
keithmc
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby Eoghan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:34 pm

Well put it this way, sitting outside Murphy's bar one sunny afternoon, a van pulled up, 2 guys got out, threw a net into a boat and headed over to the estuary. They were back 20 mins netless. When I asked a local about it I was advised to say nothing and they added something jokingly along the lines of "broken legs" etc..

It was the last time I have and will ever fish the area. Sad for me as I love the place. Love the locals.
The nets are no new thing, they have been there since we started visiting the area over 20 years ago. The thing was even for the nets ye still got some bass. But over the years this got less and less until the point where we were lucky to get one Bass over 4 days. As you can imagine over 20 years we had a fair idea how to fish it so we knew they we proper wiped out. Steve above knows the area even better than I do so if he isnt getting a bass there is something seriously wrong.

It is one of the most stunning places you can fish. Standing in the estuary at sunrise on a warm september morning is something to behold.
But at the end of the day I want to catch fish. Loyalty kept us going back for years but now I look back on the last years there as wasted ones.

I have had double figure bass on lures elsewhere this year since. Can only be the netting that has killed it.
Top 3 lure caught bass 2017 :
10Ib 5 oz
9Ib 2oz
8Ib 11oz
Eoghan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 254 times

Postby ste c » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:39 pm

Dungarvan and tramore always throw up bass and doubles at that kerry is nothing like it used to be for them its prob 1 of the last places that come to mind for bass to be honest
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby Steve » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks for your advice Ste C. I feel no need to justify the venue for my extended family's annual holiday, but suffice to say that having toured the country in search of bass for 20+ years, I'm all set for marks thanks.

For this message the author Steve has received thanks:
gannet (Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:53 am)
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Lure Fishing