Weedless Lures...chance of a successful hook

Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:27 pm

I am new to Angling, and at the moment interested in catching pollock of the rocks

Of course a normal lure setup tends to snag on kelp

I have seen vids on youtube detailing Weedless Lures, hidden hook with Jelly worms , soft plastic lures

If a fish take a weedless lure, does that lessen the chance of a successful hook

Re: Weedless Lures...chance of a successful hook

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:07 pm

In my experience the power at which bass/pollock hit the lure/soft plastic they have no hassle getting hooked even when using weedless hooks. Of course you drop fish on weedless hooks but you also drop fish on lures with 3 trebles so it's nothing to worry about. For me if you want to get the pollock you need to get in amongst the kelp and weedless really is the only way unless you love splashing cash on lures! :lol:

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Does slightly diminish the hook up but not much as there is a violent take in most ambush strikes. No real need for weed less when pollack fishing as you can glide along just above the kelp with a single 2/0 rigged texas style with a 10 gram lead it doesn't snag much but with wrasse fishing where you drop right into the hard stuff the weed less is essential. Lure fishing for wrasse when done right is as potent as ragworm. A great way to fish

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:59 pm

Basically what everyone else has said. Theres no issues. Just remember when using a weedless setup to check that the hook isnt exposed before the cast or its going to be useless

Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:21 am

These look like a good idea, has anyone any experience of them, sping loaded gaurd on the hook point

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-100-Weedl ... LQdME-Vxug