Starter lure rod + advice for a newbie

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

Starter lure rod + advice for a newbie

Postby Teegerstk » Tue May 31, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi all, I've been interested in doing some proper lure fishing for a while now, and I was wondering if someone could recommend a starter cheap spinning rod about 8ft in length - I'm not looking for anything professional, just something to get me going! Also, I live very close to the Waterford Estuary, is it worth lure fishing around here or is the water too cloudy? Pms will be greatly appreciated on a starter mark around this area (I'm aware of the Hook area, just looking for a spot closer to home)
I already have a few lures; a Grauvell blue minnow, a small mackerel spinner, a few firetails and jigheads and a Shakespeare Devil's Own Wedge spinner. All cheap lures but I'm only starting out, will these do for some basic lure fishing?

Thanks a lot!

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Starter lure rod + advice for a newbie

Postby shortcircuit » Tue May 31, 2016 9:15 pm

A good starter rod for lure fishing is tougher to get than it should be. I had a couple around the 40-50 euro mark that were marketed as entry level "proper" lure rods.They were way way too stiff and they cast anything less than 20g absolutely awful.No good because a lot of what you cast is less than 20g.

The rods that I did not like we're the Rovex Ceratec Sea Bass and the Mitchell Avocet Powerback.

A far better choice for nearly half the price is the Abu Devil Spin 8ft 10-30g. Perfect to begin with.casts the lighter lures and SPs well and has loads of "feel" . It has a bit of a soft tip so it's not great for surface lures (which have no inbuilt action and rely on the angler imparting an action)

I caught my first ever lure bass on that rod with a Feed Shallow lure. I also had pollock off the boat up to 6lb no issues.
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby Teegerstk » Tue May 31, 2016 10:44 pm

shortcircuit wrote:A good starter rod for lure fishing is tougher to get than it should be. I had a couple around the 40-50 euro mark that were marketed as entry level "proper" lure rods.They were way way too stiff and they cast anything less than 20g absolutely awful.No good because a lot of what you cast is less than 20g.

The rods that I did not like we're the Rovex Ceratec Sea Bass and the Mitchell Avocet Powerback.

A far better choice for nearly half the price is the Abu Devil Spin 8ft 10-30g. Perfect to begin with.casts the lighter lures and SPs well and has loads of "feel" . It has a bit of a soft tip so it's not great for surface lures (which have no inbuilt action and rely on the angler imparting an action)

I caught my first ever lure bass on that rod with a Feed Shallow lure. I also had pollock off the boat up to 6lb no issues.

Thanks for that SC, the Abu rod looks good, I just found an 8ft spinning rod in the attic, it's rated 10-35g, don't know the name of it. What would be the heaviest weight the lures go to?
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby shortcircuit » Tue May 31, 2016 10:48 pm

Among the common lures for bass, off the top of my head the heaviest might be 32 g some of the metals like the kilty might weigh that.

10-35g is a fine rating, but if that rod is old it might be fibreglass which would make it floppy as hell. The modern rods would be carbon fibre
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:08 am

I think it's new enough, very light compared to my bass rod! I just need a place to start lure fishing! Probably going to try the hook peninsula. What line do you recommend, around ~20lb braid?

Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby daveyboy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:50 am

20 lb braid is perfect. Everyone has their favourite lures but a few I find good and that seem popular across the Board:

Tackle House Feed Shallow - shallow diving plug, doesn't cast far but you can work the top couple of feet of water with it with ease. ... the action is great even just when simply retrieved straight. I like the white one. (No 14 I think)

SG sandeels – I like these for running slightly deeper. I don’t let them hit the bottom on rough ground as they snag up easily. I find the 23 gm ones good in either white or green (sandeel)

Fish Black Minnow – these are weedless (the hook point tucks into the back of the lure so as not to catch weed) so you can run it through weed etc with more confidence than non weedless lures. It can still get caught up though especially on rocks (and they are expensive) but it will help you fish closer to the bottom and it catches well either on a simple straight retrieve or bumped along the bottom in the current. (the 12 gm shore combo would be a good one to get - in khaki colour)

The lures above are easy to use and at least one of them should work well over most types of ground. The real key is finding a mark with bass. Maybe your local tackle shop can point you in the right direction? Or just search out a few areas with nice shallow weedy rocky ground and fish them at various states of tide.

For this message the author daveyboy has received thanks: 2
shortcircuit (Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:41 pm), Teegerstk (Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:51 am)
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby shortcircuit » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Good post daveyboy
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Teegerstk » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:52 am

daveyboy wrote:20 lb braid is perfect. Everyone has their favourite lures but a few I find good and that seem popular across the Board:

Tackle House Feed Shallow - shallow diving plug, doesn't cast far but you can work the top couple of feet of water with it with ease. ... the action is great even just when simply retrieved straight. I like the white one. (No 14 I think)

SG sandeels – I like these for running slightly deeper. I don’t let them hit the bottom on rough ground as they snag up easily. I find the 23 gm ones good in either white or green (sandeel)

Fish Black Minnow – these are weedless (the hook point tucks into the back of the lure so as not to catch weed) so you can run it through weed etc with more confidence than non weedless lures. It can still get caught up though especially on rocks (and they are expensive) but it will help you fish closer to the bottom and it catches well either on a simple straight retrieve or bumped along the bottom in the current. (the 12 gm shore combo would be a good one to get - in khaki colour)

The lures above are easy to use and at least one of them should work well over most types of ground. The real key is finding a mark with bass. Maybe your local tackle shop can point you in the right direction? Or just search out a few areas with nice shallow weedy rocky ground and fish them at various states of tide.

Thanks Davey

Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Crevan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:16 pm

Send me a pm with your number. I'm in Bannow so not too far from you if you want to meet up for a chat.

For this message the author Crevan has received thanks:
shortcircuit (Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:17 pm)
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 78 times

Postby Bail Arm » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:40 pm

How far would I need to be casting if trying lure fishing from a beach for the first time? I go fishing on my own quite a bit so don't want to go to any tough to reach rocky areas so gonna try a few beach marks.
Bail Arm
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Teegerstk » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:07 pm

shortcircuit wrote:Among the common lures for bass, off the top of my head the heaviest might be 32 g some of the metals like the kilty might weigh that.

10-35g is a fine rating, but if that rod is old it might be fibreglass which would make it floppy as hell. The modern rods would be carbon fibre

Hi, I found the sleeve for the rod, it's a Shimano Vengeance rod, is that good enough to start off with? I've had a few lure sessions, nothing doing.
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby shortcircuit » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:53 pm

I have not used that rod myself but have heard of people using it who are perfectly happy with it so Id say you're onto a good one to start with. How do you find the rod are you casting out the lures OK ?
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Teegerstk » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:56 pm

shortcircuit wrote:I have not used that rod myself but have heard of people using it who are perfectly happy with it so Id say you're onto a good one to start with. How do you find the rod are you casting out the lures OK ?

Yeah it's great, it casts the lures well, I bought a few lures that are very light (4-7g) so it obviously doesn't cast well with them but it's a great little rod!
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:35 pm

Bail Arm wrote:How far would I need to be casting if trying lure fishing from a beach for the first time? I go fishing on my own quite a bit so don't want to go to any tough to reach rocky areas so gonna try a few beach marks.

I reckon you could cast a spinner into the surf for bass but try to stick to rocky areas at the edges of beaches, I've seen people plugging at these areas to some success.
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Lure Fishing