Advise on lures & Pluges

Wed May 13, 2015 12:30 pm

I am going to get back into lure fishing at present i have a large selection of lures & Plugs but they are about 15 years out of date ? i was in a angling shop looking at the plugs and metal body spinners and did not know where to satart, they have all changed.
Could get advise on say the top 5 pluges, ie make, model, colour also the same for metal body spinners.
Thanks
Peter

Re: Advise on lures & Pluges

Wed May 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi bolger,

what is your target species?

Wed May 13, 2015 1:31 pm

Minefield alert! Assuming you are talking bout bass.

There as many lures out there as there are fish in the sea. Don't rush out and buy fifty different types. What I would do is get one of each of the following type of lure:

1. Shallow Diving Hard Plastic Lure. You cannot use these where there is a lot of weed as they are best case ineffective (in light weed) or worst case, if there is kelp, they will snag.
My favourite in this category (and my favourite lure overall) is the Tackle House Feed Shallow 128mm. Colours people seem to like are No.11 (Mullet) and No. 14 Pearl. I also have caught bass on #9 Sardine. Amazing action on these lures
There are loads of lures in this category which others swear by- IMA Sasuke, Komomo, Hound. Duo Tide Minnow. I also have a Megabass Zonk Gataride which has a great action and casts better than my Feed Shallow, but it dives a bit deeper, so is not suitable for ultra shallow water.

2. Weightless/Weedless Soft Plastic. You can fish these through absolutely anything once rigged weedless.
Any god's amount again. I use a Wave Worm Tiki Bamboo Stick in white, commonly just called a Wave Worm. Others similar are Gary Yamamoto Senko, Megabass Dot Crawler. Good thing is these lures are a lot cheaper than the hard plastics.

3. Weighted Soft Plastics. Mainly used for slightly deeper water.
These are generally paddletail lures that come with a jig head.One of the most popular is the Savage Gear Sandeel in the Real Pearl colour. Another one which has come to the fore in the last few years is the Fiish Black Minnow, which has an articulated hook giving it more movement.

4. Metals. Others better to advise here, I guess the old favourites like the Tasmanian Devil still apply here. The Kilty seems to be very popular too.

Enough to get started with!

Wed May 13, 2015 2:30 pm

The main species that i would be fishing for would be bass, i already have good selection of tasmanion devils & kiltys

Wed May 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Hi, I am also interested in lure Bass fishing. Is it any good with Metal Jigs like the photo?

Any information will be helpful, thanks. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 14, 2015 3:09 pm

very informative post there shortcircuit - i have never really used lures mostly fished with bait however am very keen to expand to this type of fishing, there is a wealth of info from previous posters on this site, all very helpfull to the beginner lure fisherman.

Thu May 14, 2015 4:10 pm

beechtrawler wrote:very informative post there shortcircuit - i have never really used lures mostly fished with bait however am very keen to expand to this type of fishing, there is a wealth of info from previous posters on this site, all very helpfull to the beginner lure fisherman.

Ah I'm only lure fishing maybe 18 months or so but it would be nice to save someone else the hassles I went through. Especially losing gear- I lost a lot of lures because I was fishing them places I shouldnt

Thu May 14, 2015 5:46 pm

Start off with savage gear sand eels 120mm long. There a great lure cheap & work great for bass. Fish them sink & draw Tackle house feed shallow another great lure there about € 25 each but run very shallow. I have been using them for about 4 years & never lost 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu May 14, 2015 8:49 pm

eh, if your gear caught fish 15 years ago then you'll catch fish this year too with it. fish don't follow fashions that much....

Use what you've got already and replace it as you lose it.

Sat May 16, 2015 8:38 pm

Like T says bass don't do fashion - its SOOOOO much more than the lure - let us know what you have and we can categorise them re suitability/ tactically for you.

Sat May 16, 2015 9:26 pm

I must echo what Jim says I was just outlining what folk are using at the moment. My own knowledge would be a drop in the ocean compared to that of someone like Jim.

As far as I know/ have read, bass are opportunistic feeders so if you put something past their nose that looks like food, chances are they will go for it. If that something is metal, hard plastic or soft plastic then so be it

Sun May 17, 2015 7:52 am

Hi Bolger
The lads are right your old lures will still catch bass, its finding them that you showed be concerning yourself with!!!!
Nor do not go out buying every lure on the shelf, an error I myself made. When I first started lure fishing I bought every popular lure out there. I had far far too many. Experience has whittled down my collection from in excess of 50/60 lures to less than 2 dozen to suit the areas of water which I fish. Don't be conned by clever marketing ploys especially seen on some internet blogs!!!

Anyway I know you're not a beginner but there is a mine of information to be found on Jim's website. He's too modest about his knowledge!
Have a look-see here http://www.probassfisher.ie/search?q=+what+lure&m=1

If you've any questions etc post in here. There are many willing and able here to dispense good advice and opinion.