Mono leader for Sea trout

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:01 pm

I know most Bass anglers use a fluorocarbon leader for stealth purposes or just to avoid braid friction against rocky ground and losing fish lure or both. However, when
it comes to catching Sea trout on the lure should we apply the same strategy - from my on experience the slippery sea trout have a talent for spitting the hook as a result of the jumps and lunges. I was wondering if anyone has tried using a mono leader as appose to the FC as would imagine that the stretch in mono might absorb the acrobatics better than the non stretch braid/ FC combination ?

Re: Mono leader for Sea trout

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Majority of fly fishermen use fluro nowadays. I would stick with fluro.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:56 pm

You won't get that much stretch from a short mono leader anyway so I'd stick with the florocarbon. Use a softer rod and have the drag set relatively lightly if your after sea trout.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Try having two (or more) split rings on the treble hooks to reduce the amount of - "foul....4....and a miss"

Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:34 pm

True lads , I have more confidence in the FC and as you rightly pointed out the trout fly anglers are also using fluro these days. Yes, additional split rings defo help when they try too twist off and away - I only use single hooks for sea trout - more difficult to strike them but easier to keep them on the hook .

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:49 am

I hate fluorocarbon and catch the odd fish, then again I,m a tight git too!

Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:20 pm

I use about 4 ft of mono cause I just doubt it makes any difference but couldn't really tell you if it makes any odds

Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:00 pm

fc is the way to go a short leader of mono wont make any differance all and with fc you may still miss a few lousen the drag on your reel and dont give an inch :D

Mon May 04, 2015 11:08 am

I've bought 200m of spiderwire ultracast fluorobarcon recently but have yet to load it. It was bought on thee same premise of first poster above - wanting to moev beyond mono. Anyone any opinions?

Wed May 06, 2015 9:08 pm

KerryRockHopper wrote:I've bought 200m of spiderwire ultracast fluorobarcon recently but have yet to load it. It was bought on thee same premise of first poster above - wanting to moev beyond mono. Anyone any opinions?

Hopefully it better than the Spiderwire EZ Fluro KerryRockHopper.....https://youtu.be/08bbUrFmmfk
Had a spool of this crap..so bad I binned it straight away....

Now I use Trilene Fluorocarbon - no probs at all...
Bear in mind that if Flurocarbon has any slight imperfection at can actually be counterproductive and it will show up bright in the water...so if you are scraping it over rocks for a while run your finger along it and if its rough change it or has any nicks....also mind your knots with fluro..it is more liable to slip..

Thu May 07, 2015 8:39 am

The mono/fluoro leader argument has never convinced me at all. For years when I lived in West Waterford, I fished bass with the braid straight through to the lure and never lost tackle or fish. The braid end does get a bit fluffy at times, all you have to do is keep an eye on it, and clip off a foot or so and retie when necessary. The braid doesnt affect the fish visually, their vision isnt that sharp.
The one spring when I decided to give the mono leaders a go, I lost three YoZuris from crack-offs, line snap etc and never went back to it. I strongly suspect the mono thing is a superstitious hangover from pre-braid days, or a pointless borrowing from fly fishing.

Sun May 10, 2015 9:38 am

shanboman wrote:
KerryRockHopper wrote:
Now I use Trilene Fluorocarbon - no probs at all...
Bear in mind that if Flurocarbon has any slight imperfection at can actually be counterproductive and it will show up bright in the water...so if you are scraping it over rocks for a while run your finger along it and if its rough change it or has any nicks....also mind your knots with fluro..it is more liable to slip..

Thanks shanboman. Yeah i saw the trilene and was in two minds which to get. I had always heard good things about spiderwire so went for that. At least I know there are options out there that have been tried and tested. The fluoro will be on a spare spool for more accessible places. The other spools of mono for rock hopping where the lines gets chewed up.