Savage Gear Sandeel - Rigging and action

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:36 am

Hi all,

Bit of a "cabin fever" thread !

A lot of people are partial toward using the SG sandeel slug as an early season lure as it's smaller size mimics the smaller baitfish that are around spring.

I have a pack of these along with the accompanying "weedless darting" jig head which is really just a weedless hook with an extra gram or two of weight at the hook eye.

I could not get these to cast anything worth a damn and I gave up on them pretty fast !
I'm sure I must have the wrong size slug- the smallest I see online are 10cm but mine seem smaller again. I don't have one to hand to measure it

So questions!

1. What size sandeel slugs do you use?
2. How do you rig them? Jighead? Weedless Jighead? Weedless hook with a little cone weight?
3. Easturies or open coasts? I can't believe that they would fare well in rough water
4. Action? I'm assuming an erratic retrieve is best for them.

Not asking much I know !Thanks

Re: Savage Gear Sandeel - Rigging and action

Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:52 pm

If i remember correctly it was a 12g jighead i used, certain conditions call for different weights i think. For me this worked best for the location i fished.
There are a couple of techniques and i am no expert, walk the dog is one such technique, i hve found a very slow retrieve along the bottom has worked well for me. That being said i am a mere beginner at bass fishing.

I caught a 7-8lb sea bass in 2013 in what was gale force weather, i decided to give it an hour before i had work and after almost an hour of enduring the elements i decided to move my location to where the estuary and tide were meeting in the chopped up waters. !BANG! Fish on so to a degree i think if a fish is feeding regardless of weather you have a chance.

Another method we used which was funny was baited a float in moon darkness with a shimmer eel on hook and hit a 5lb bass. We could see him attacking it he missed first but took second go.

Both fish were returned safely.

Best way to learn is get out there and trial and error.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:08 pm

What size slugs were you using?

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:54 pm

http://absolutefishing.ie/Shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=1026

This would be the size id normally go with. In very windy conditions something heavier if you cant get your cast out.
There are a lot more experienced bass fishermen on here who may offer you a better insight.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:07 pm

This would be my 2 cents worth shortcircuit.

1. What size sandeel slugs do you use?
14cm

2. How do you rig them? Jighead? Weedless Jighead? Weedless hook with a little cone weight?
Weedless hook with a 5g cone/bullet weight

3. Easturies or open coasts? I can't believe that they would fare well in rough water
Rocky coast with a lot of weed.

4. Action? I'm assuming an erratic retrieve is best for them.
I use a simple drop and draw retrieve, most of the takes are on the drop.

They are not a great caster for sure especially the larger size. Having said that, most of the fish i have had on these i get in close say within 20 ft of the shore.

Hope this helps.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:09 pm

Good man tom thanks

Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:21 pm

You can also rig them with weedless jigheads. Some examples of the types i like to use are below.

The top one is the bigger sandeel slug rigged with a 16g savage gear sandeel jig head that i modified to be weedless, (savage gear have actually released a weedless version of this now and it should be available later this year).

The middle one is the 14cm slug with the owner sled jighead .

The bottom one is again the 14cm slug but rigged with a strategic 5g weedless football/rugby jighead.

Personally i like weedless jig heads to have the eye at the front, that way they pull through a lot more rough ground without snagging up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:38 pm

2015-02-22 17.35.56.jpg

Cheers Tom

I actually picked up a pack of Sakura L16 Koneels at the swords show today, 150mm look very similar to a Sandeel Slug. Will try out soon

2015-02-22 17.35.56.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:10 pm

I like savage slugs riged with 21g Berkley jig head ,don't like this double outside layer after few fish starts peeling off