Float fishing with lures

Wed May 28, 2014 10:10 am

Hi lads,

I have seen some information on the web about float fishing soft plastics in current. I was just curious if anyone here has any first hand experience with this technique? It is definitely something i will be giving a go this season and see how it goes.

Cheers.

Tom

Re: Float fishing with lures

Wed May 28, 2014 10:51 am

Hi tom , i have used this technique a lot in the past , over rough ground . Bubble float works best . If you are fishing over about 4 ft of water have about three and a half foot from lure to bubble float with no weight . Used jelly worms and rubber eels to good effect . Always found it better with a bit of a swell on , just puts a more natural movement in the lure . Hope this helps

Wed May 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Thanks for that Morgan, what was your target species? Did you find this effective and did you ever try it in strong current like an estausry mouth?

Wed May 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Using a Jiff Lemon bottle or bubble float was/is a popular tactic. Back in the day we used tie a redgill off the back. My father used use a bubble with a home tied "Goats hair" tied behind. It used work well for bass.
I notice that many are using similar techniques using Bombarda floats.

A quick search brought this: http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/bubble/#rigging

I think it got superseded for me by the current crop of soft lures and the fact that 98% of my fishing is done from the boat.

Wed May 28, 2014 1:38 pm

Very interesting link, thanks for that JimC. I will have to experiment when the Bass ban is lifted and i will let ya know how i get on.

Wed May 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi tom , haven't used it in an estuary , have used it off the beach in the surf for bass and coal fish not great amount of success , mainly off the rocks for bass and pollock just vary the depth for what your looking for , can't see why it wouldn't work for wrasse but haven't tried it . I fish the bubble on a running type system with only the line going through one hole on the float and a meter of line between two swivels and beads , gives the fish time to take it and turn before the hook sets . Bit like a running lead with a stopper . Sure there are many ways of doing it this is just what works for me . I always find anything new is worth a go , might not work but anything new is never a waste of time . I have spoken to a guy who uses a bubble float and rigs it like he is drop shotting , that sounds very interesting and worth having a play around with .

Wed May 28, 2014 11:56 pm

Great advice there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu May 29, 2014 11:21 am

Hi Tom, I have used this technique with success in an estuary mouth whilst on a guided session (I haven't actually tried it again since then). The other guy I was fishing with also had success at the same mark with the technique. When the current is really flowing it just gives the soft plastic a natural swimming look as it motors along with the bubble float. It does require a lot of recasting up-current though due to the strong current bringing it along each time.

The guide who I was out with introduced me to the technique, and he had huge success with it.

Whilst it does seem to work well, personally for me it's not a hugely exciting method of fishing and I much prefer working a hard / soft plastic back on the retrieve, but you can't argue with the fact that it works, and maybe in some cases would out-fish other techniques..?

Thu May 29, 2014 12:34 pm

not far off the sandeel and the bubble float applied a lot out west for bass and trout

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:28 am

Thanks for the replies lads i will let ye know how i get on over the summer.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:21 pm

http://bassfishinginireland.blogspot.ie ... stics.html

Here's an old piece I did on it , was meant to follow it up with a second article /video but a career change and the RNLI meant my free time evaporated.......still on the to-do list though.
I have out-fished one dimensional lure anglers enough times to have confidence in the technique. As said previously here , the bombarda's have been utilised to good effect for a long time now aswell.

Patience and faith.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:07 pm

Bass Dad wrote:http://bassfishinginireland.blogspot.ie/2011/09/float-fishing-soft-plastics.html

Here's an old piece I did on it , was meant to follow it up with a second article /video but a career change and the RNLI meant my free time evaporated.......still on the to-do list though.
I have out-fished one dimensional lure anglers enough times to have confidence in the technique. As said previously here , the bombarda's have been utilised to good effect for a long time now aswell.

Patience and faith.

Great piece Bass Dad, thanks for the link. I am excited to try it out now as soon as the ban is lifted. Any particular strength or stage of tide that you think might be more productive?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:43 pm

I have caught fish on various stages of tidal flow and ebb . Movement of the float is what you are aiming for so either a run in the tide and or a chop and breeze to get the rig moving .
Each venue will have its own unique quirks ,.....as an example .... if a south facing beach has a tidal flow right to left on the flood and a westerly breeze is blowing across it then the float and lure will travel at a faster speed than it would in an easterly breeze , especially in hours 2-4 of the flow. This will mean more ground is covered in a given time and hopefully more chance of finding feeding bass.

The amount of lures available these days would enable an angler to target many different species using the same method , though I haven't tried this yet I would imagine harbour- rag type lures could be interesting to try out.

Estuaries are probably an easier place to start experimenting as there is a strong current to work with. Unfortunately they receive a huge amount of angling pressure these days so may not be the most productive , as ever the fish have to be there to catch them.