lures and weed

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:53 pm

found an area that im confident may give a bass down the line i watched it at low and high tide and at high the weed is about 20 yards out not very thick but its patchy water is about 4-6 ft deep at the start of the weed apart from weedless what sort of lures so i be fishing ??

Re: lures and weed

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:59 pm

If its only 4ft at low water and you have clearence I would be trying a surface lure to start with, unless you know exactly where the weed/rocks are. Then maybe a Feed Shallow. For a surface lure try an IMA salt skimmer, Popkey, Patchinko etc etc....there are tons of em.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm

said that wrong at high tide the weed is patchy for out till about 20 yards

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:44 pm

I'd agree with Eoghan also keep an eye for bootlace weed when the water temp rises, sounds good. Good luck.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:54 pm

said that wrong at high tide the weed is patchy for out till about 20 yards and from looking at the area i don't think low water would be a very good choice

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Ya 4-6 feet is good depth for luring bass, a few surface poppers a feed shallow, max rap, and alot of weedless rigged SP's, x-layers, slug-gos etc. Try and bring a range of colours in the SP's and lures, and make sure for the love of good you won't catch the weed with an expensive lure.

(If your not sure bring waders cuz your gonna want a feed shallow back!)

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:31 pm

No harm blasting out a couple of Hansen stripers out around now

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:35 pm

Low water is exactly when I would fish it, well 3 hours either side to be precise.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:41 pm

thats what my problem was graham the thoughts of losing 20 euro i couldnt come to terms with right must ask the tackle shop for either a feedshallow or Patchinko it seems i knew sweet feck all about how to work um but only one way to find out the fella in my tackleshop is persisent i should get a ron thompson bass buster what ye think ?? ,,, could i rig a savagegear sandeel weedless and spilt shot the top of it ?? might be stupid questions but may aswell ask :)

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:03 pm

chrisoc96 wrote:thats what my problem was graham the thoughts of losing 20 euro i couldnt come to terms with right must ask the tackle shop for either a feedshallow or Patchinko it seems i knew sweet feck all about how to work um but only one way to find out the fella in my tackleshop is persisent i should get a ron thompson Bass buster what ye think ?? ,,, could i rig a savagegear sandeel weedless and spilt shot the top of it ?? might be stupid questions but may aswell ask :)

Ya the feedshallows really are an absolute necessity for bass fishing, you simply must have one in the lure box. As far as the poppers go i never bother with fancy mackerel and herring type coloured ones, if it's silver or white on the bottom it's the same as any other one that's silver or white (the bass only sees it from below). As for the bass buster i've never tried one but for a fiver you might as well indulge. Some of the cheap chinese lures you'd find for a euro in some random shop in spain have often surprised me.

Ya you can rig the sandeels weedless but the action isn't quiet nice, I'd prefer the sandeel slugs for weedless, they work that little bit better in the water for me.

Also try and have something in every colour under the rainbow, black included. You might get a shock what a bass might take on any given day. I always carry a few dexter wedges too anytime i go bass hunting they're cheap, simple, cast a mile and they catch a bass a suprising amount.

Have a read of these :
Gets me in the mood ;)
http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/lure-fishing-for-bass
A tip for plug shopping
http://www.cornishshoreandkayakfisherma ... lures.html

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:18 pm

read that earlier yup gives a proper feel for it alright .... Saturday seems like the day ill be giving the mark a good check :)

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:42 am

Good on ya.. :)

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:12 am

Chris is still early and this time of year bait does better than lures so dont be too disappointed if you dont produce a fish on a lure. Need another month I reckon to get going. No harm doing some homework. Sounds like a great mark though..!

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:15 am

chrisoc96 wrote:thats what my problem was graham the thoughts of losing 20 euro i couldnt come to terms with right must ask the tackle shop for either a feedshallow or Patchinko it seems i knew sweet feck all about how to work um but only one way to find out the fella in my tackleshop is persisent i should get a ron thompson Bass buster what ye think ?? ,,, could i rig a savagegear sandeel weedless and spilt shot the top of it ?? might be stupid questions but may aswell ask :)

Great advice from all the lads there chrisoc, but if you are worried about losing expensive lures and want to try an SP then give this a go. It will give you a good opportunity to catch something, while at the same time feel out the ground so you can reduce the chance of losing the €20 lures later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Is that a savage gear SE Slug.? Belter of a lure, esp this time of year when sandeels are smaller, match the hatch etc. I love weedless as you can cast em just where you like. Right into the weeds where a bass might be hunting crabs, blennies etc.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:27 pm

would mack heads be a waste of time this time of year as the macks arent in get um for nothin off local fish monger , would there be peelers around yet aswell ?? ,,, yaa i might give the lures a pass alright till easter or so :)

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:42 pm

chrisoc96 wrote:2014 goals : specimen blue shark , Bass on a lrf , conger from shore, cod off kinsale point , find my own mark which fishes for multiple species

Just spotted this but you should give the OSI website a gawk for finding marks, i always use it for finding nice marks for bass and pollock, gives a good view of sea beds upto about 20ft too so for beaches and stuff it's handy!

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,602917,718593,0,0

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:43 am

Big bass are very lazy, a big bait lobbed out is a great idea. Bass eat hard back crabs by the way too! Well known fact.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:14 am

Eoghan wrote:Is that a savage gear SE Slug.? Belter of a lure, esp this time of year when sandeels are smaller, match the hatch etc. I love weedless as you can cast em just where you like. Right into the weeds where a Bass might be hunting crabs, blennies etc.

yup, spot on Eoghan. I love this thing and so do the fish. I cant think of a better way to explore a new mark before i try a shallow diver thats got treble hooks all over it. I will be using it tonight on a new mark, lets see what decides to have a nibble at it.