weedless soft plastics vs spinners

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 am

Lads,

Obviously with weedless you will loose less gear but are there any othere differences or advantages between both? What is best for what?? Species/ground etc... also summer lure fishing? ?

Thanks in advance

Re: weedless soft plastics vs spinners

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:43 am

Hi there,

As you say fishing with weedless soft plastics minimizes tackle losses, If your minimizing tackle losses you are maximizing time spent fishing your chosen location instead of wasted time rigging new lures,tying leaders and clips etc. Another advantage is you can retrieve weedless soft lures very slowly, a help when fishing during low water temperatures for lethargic slow moving fish.

That said all lure types have there advantages/disadvantages so fish with those that give you most confidence.

Tight Lines.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:26 am

gd wrote:Hi there,

As you say fishing with weedless soft plastics minimizes tackle losses, If your minimizing tackle losses you are maximizing time spent fishing your chosen location instead of wasted time rigging new lures,tying leaders and clips etc. Another advantage is you can retrieve weedless soft lures very slowly, a help when fishing during low water temperatures for lethargic slow moving fish.

That said all lure types have there advantages/disadvantages so fish with those that give you most confidence.

Tight Lines.

Great advice from gd there jono, main thing for me is that you can move them very very slowly as mentioned above, or better still let the waves and current move the weedless lure for you.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanks lads thats sound advice, I would get the soft plastic down deep are good for pollock, what about bass? What is the best techniques for the both species? What conditions and what time of year?

I haven't got much experience when it comes to lure fishing so any advice is appreciated.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:48 pm

heres a link for species and time of year viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45493
The pollock will take a wide variety of soft plastic lures and weedless is one of the best ways to target them. I like to use something like this for them. I use a very small 3.5 to 5 g bullet weight at the nose of the worm.
Firetail-Latex-Worms.jpg

Bass are a little more fussy. They are a bit harder to catch this time of year and probably your best chance will be in or close to an estuary using any of the good quality soft plastic lures weightless or trotting an xlayer with a jig head.

Probably the best thing you can do though is go to your local tackle shop and ask for advice, they will be very familiar with the area and should be able to point you in the right direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:15 am

Soft lures work well in deep and shallow water for many species including Pollack and Bass.

You can retrieve sp's many ways including using a slow 'sink and draw' or twitching them back. Make the most of the area in front of you by fan casting. Casting uptide in estuary's and swinging them downstream is very effective.

Here is a link related to rigging soft lures including various weedless options: http://tinyurl.com/kq9uybr

You have asked quite a few questions there, as tom said best to seek direct advice from another angler or local shop. Hope that helps.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:23 am

Thanks lads