Anyone want to show off new gear ?

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

Anyone want to show off new gear ?

Postby Deise boy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Anyone get anything nice at the show in Dublin.
Go on show it off here.
I didn't make it. Kids etc. !

Cracking [LARGE RED CIRCLE][LARGE RED CIRCLE]

Kind regards
Deise boy
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 131 times

Re: Anyone want to show off new gear ?

Postby lowie69 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:19 pm

It was ok m8 u didn miss much prices were same or no more expensive than shops
bass PB 10 lb , thornback ray PB 11lb, smooth hound PB 12lb, cod PB 9lb wish list for this year turbot painted ray undulate ray nd gilt head bream
lowie69
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 41 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Deise boy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:31 pm

lowie69 wrote:It was ok m8 u didn miss much prices were same or no more expensive than shops

Seriously ??
I thought they be giving some bargains out last day and the stuff they sell is all last years high tec stuff ( last years high tec is this years my high tec )
I'm very surprised. And kind if glad I didn't put myself out to go. .

Kind regards
Deise boy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Grumpy Angler » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Waste of time.was looking for thread/string and lacquer for attaching eyes to rods.not one stand had what i needed. Also i was hoping to pick up some
impact leads,same again-nowhere to be found.like wtf?:-o:-|
Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2
Blankety-Blank!

would like to catch in 2014: cod,seabass,plaice,smoothound

For this message the author Grumpy Angler has received thanks:
Deise boy (Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:20 pm)
Grumpy Angler
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 36 times

Postby ste c » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:39 pm

dropped into it on sunday was in there for 15mins max same s*** different year even the stalls are in the same place, only popped into it as i had to meet someone in the car park to collect something

For this message the author ste c has received thanks:
Deise boy (Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:20 pm)
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby JOHN1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:04 pm

I went in on saturday like stec i had to meet someone in there to collect something from him, its been about 3 years since last visit, what can i say!! im glad i did miss the last few years walked around a good while and met up with a few people i know.
the best part of the show for me by a long shot was having a listen to Jim Clohessy blabbering on for a very quick 45 minutes about Blues and Bass he makes time pass very quickly a pleasure and fun to listen too fair play to ya jim :wink:.
now it comes to the huge amount of tackle i purchased a new little boat rod for the smaller species 2 spools of fluro, 2 packets of swivels and a Lead mould i couldnt refuse (priced Wrong) :D it was very hard to hold a straight face when shoving the money into his hand to compleat the transaction as quick as i could :lol: :lol:
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.

For this message the author JOHN1 has received thanks:
Deise boy (Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 pm)
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby Grumpy Angler » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:39 pm

Good for you,lol

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2
Blankety-Blank!

JOHN1 (Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:38 pm)
Grumpy Angler
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Deise boy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 pm

JOHN1 wrote:I went in on saturday like stec i had to meet someone in there to collect something from him, its been about 3 years since last visit, what can i say!! im glad i did miss the last few years walked around a good while and met up with a few people i know.
the best part of the show for me by a long shot was having a listen to Jim Clohessy blabbering on for a very quick 45 minutes about Blues and Bass he makes time pass very quickly a pleasure and fun to listen too fair play to ya jim :wink:.
now it comes to the huge amount of tackle i purchased a new little boat rod for the smaller species 2 spools of fluro, 2 packets of swivels and a Lead mould i couldnt refuse (priced Wrong) :D it was very hard to hold a straight face when shoving the money into his hand to compleat the transaction as quick as i could :lol: :lol:

Love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For this message the author Deise boy has received thanks:
JOHN1 (Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:39 pm)
Deise boy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Deise boy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:23 pm

So I missed f@@k all.
Saved petrol and entrance fee and food money and spending money on shite that I didn't actually need.

That sounds like a good day to me lads.

Sounds like not enough effort put into the event. Just thrown together

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Deise boy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Kgarr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Funky fly stand was very good. Lots of great tying stuff, couldn't find the line or reel I was looking for though
Kgarr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby Paul Harris » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:03 am

Being somewhat of a veteran of angling shows, I must have done about a hundred or more in the UK over the years, what do you think is needed at a show to make it a roaring success.
More talks - major tackle manufacturers - personalities - discount fishing tackle - what have you?
The biggest show in the UK is 'the big one' at Farnborough in Hants (20,000 attendance) and I went there as couple of years ago. Great show if you wanted to buy cheap carp tackle/boilies/clothing/etc. Sea fishing was crap. Spoke to someone who was there last week and he said it was the same and a waste of time going. So perhaps size is not everything.
Live out on the beautiful Beara Peninsula. Always willing to assist visiting anglers.
Paul Harris
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 70 times

Postby Rob Millard » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:31 am

I really enjoy going just to talk with people like yourself Paul, John Q, Luke Aston, Jim C etc etc. The seminars can be great, and it's an opportunity to pick the brains of some very knowledgable anglers. It's also at a time of the year when most of us are doing very little sea angling, so getting to talk about it helps to scratch the itch a little bit, and gets the juices flowing for the year ahead. If I was going just to pick up bargains I would be disappointed, but, for the reasons above, I really enjoy it!
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)

For this message the author Rob Millard has received thanks:
Deise boy (Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:57 pm)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:26 pm

A lot of people seem to think that serious bargains should be available. Rods that usually cost 300 going for 150, TOTR stuff going for half nothing. Never really understood why. Retailers need to make money. They're not in it for a bit of fun on the side. They have mortgages to pay, families to feed etc. I also assume retailers have to shell out cash just to get a stall and before customer number one pays a visit?

For me, if you want a bargain, get to know your local tackle shop- the lads I buy off look after me like royalty. Plus the advice you can pick up there is invaluable.

Shows like this should be about demos, lectures, learning, the focus should be mainly on these. If there is gear to play around with in between and maybe purchase, then that's a bonus.

For this message the author Steve has received thanks: 3
Deise boy (Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:58 pm), MC (Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:33 pm), pajo (Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:50 am)
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby Grumpy Angler » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Steve, i think that when companies set up a stand they expect to sell stuff....so why not throw in a few bargains(january shouldn't have a monopoly on sales) what i'd like to see is a stand on how to repair /replace rod eyes. we've all been there-a great well loved rod that happens to lose an eye for whatever reason and not being able to get the stuff to repair it. i've been all around trying to get decent thread and lacquer to fix one of my beloved rods...to no avail. The recent show in swords turned up a blank for me on that score,i would of had more luck fishing for mobey dick than getting what i needed. only one guy on one stand (i'm sorry i can't remember which one,but he was scottish if that helps,lol :) ) showed any real intrest in my problem,which throws me back to the first point...if the companies want to have shows and sell us stuff,at least stock the f*king stuff!!!

oh yeah,sorry. i got some decent epoxy-like resin from Henrys tackle in Ballybough and some surgeons thread from a theatre cleaner guy where i work(a hospital) so happy days,all's well that ends well!

the surgeons thread is f*cking perfect by the way,a bit like the sewing thread in denim jeans! :D
Blankety-Blank!

Deise boy (Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:58 pm)
Grumpy Angler
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Paul Harris » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:20 pm

There was a guy in the UK who did the angling shows called 'The Rod Man' who used to demonstrate how to repair rods, whip on eyes, paint and decorate them etc and sold all the gear to do it with. He gave it up in the end because the sales were so low he could not cover his costs and he said no one was interested in DIY on rods.
So here is the difficulty with angling shows - Grumpy Angler wants to see demos of rod rings being replaced - but possibly 95% of the rest of the crowd could not give a toss!
What do you do?
Live out on the beautiful Beara Peninsula. Always willing to assist visiting anglers.

For this message the author Paul Harris has received thanks: 2
Deise boy (Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:00 am), Grumpy Angler (Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:42 pm)
Paul Harris
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 70 times

Postby Grumpy Angler » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:25 pm

i don't want to see demo's,there's u-tube for that. what i want is to be able to buy the stuff.that's all...

awww,you're in the beara Peninsula,you lucky,lucky b*stard!,lol,....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-5i1cJIwE7M

hahaha
Blankety-Blank!

Grumpy Angler
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Deise boy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:59 pm

Grumpy Angler wrote:Steve, i think that when companies set up a stand they expect to sell stuff....so why not throw in a few bargains(january shouldn't have a monopoly on sales) what i'd like to see is a stand on how to repair /replace rod eyes. we've all been there-a great well loved rod that happens to lose an eye for whatever reason and not being able to get the stuff to repair it. i've been all around trying to get decent thread and lacquer to fix one of my beloved rods...to no avail. The recent show in swords turned up a blank for me on that score,i would of had more luck fishing for mobey dick than getting what i needed. only one guy on one stand (i'm sorry i can't remember which one,but he was scottish if that helps,lol :) ) showed any real intrest in my problem,which throws me back to the first point...if the companies want to have shows and sell us stuff,at least stock the f*king stuff!!!

oh yeah,sorry. i got some decent epoxy-like resin from Henrys tackle in Ballybough and some surgeons thread from a theatre cleaner guy where i work(a hospital) so happy days,all's well that ends well!

the surgeons thread is f*cking perfect by the way,a bit like the sewing thread in denim jeans! :D

Great reply mate honesty is best policy

Kind regards

For this message the author Deise boy has received thanks:
Grumpy Angler (Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:17 am)
Deise boy
SAI Hammerhead

Postby lucky13 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:54 pm

late reply lads aint been on here in ages..
twasnt all that bad...the best of it tho was the funky fly stand and jimc's talk as the lads where saying like,RTE give that man a tv show! himself and "rockhunter" be some tv show! :D
but to be honest everything i bought i bargained a few quid off of it...got some nice stuff! missed out on a lovely abu cardinal spinning reel fd,said id have a wander and came back for it and gondies :evil: i reckon everyone had something on the list that couldnt be found there,but otherwise,happy out!
Attachments
rsz_3wp_20140216_003.jpg
rsz_3wp_20140216_003.jpg (110.28 KiB) Viewed 875 times

For this message the author lucky13 has received thanks:
Deise boy (Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:18 am)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 184 times

Postby Stan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:50 pm

For me the show is about meeting fellow anglers and having a bit of crack :D :D . Buying gear is secondary. Going to the various talks is always beneficial.
Of course I always find a bargain :!: :!: .
I introduced my 3 kids to angling and 1 has come back to it after a break. Meanwhile I have been bringing out my 2 nephews.
I became a grandad this year and spotted waders that would suit him...once he can walk :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Baby waders.jpg
Baby waders.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 277 times

Return to Lure Fishing