Re: Illex i-shad jig head

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:12 am

Love that vid Steve, keeping the lure vertical for as long as possible with a natural action. No erratic movement required on the rod, keeping it simple. I can just see the lure slowly wallowing through a mark I have in mind in Brandon, a bunch of half submerged boulders, it wouldnt last a second..! :-)

Man I need to go fishing...!!!

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Slowly wallowing Eoghan - perrrfeccttt - sometimes, so long as its not a fast head drop just being IN the water is enough - think nine inch sluggos drifting freely with neutral position for example - its not an easy thing to do but.....

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:57 am

Yeah Jim I have gone off the heavier jig heads in favour for very light or no jig heads. I have fished with a do-live stick and that has a great wobbling side to side action and slowly falls through the water. Same too with the Fish Arrow flash J shad. Someone once told me to cast a Senko weedless, weightless into a mark.....and do nothing really.......wonder who that was..! ;-) Works a treat.

You are right it isnt easy but I have found with the illex Rod, the action and response is brilliant and gives you amazing control over the lure.
I found it a great help to cast a lure into a few feet of water and test it so to speak, watch the action imparted on the lure when you twitch, lift, wobble the rod etc so that when I cast out far I know what the lure is doing.