Feed Shallow Hooks

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Feed shallow hooks i have heard all about them in the passed to just change them.Paid a big price for that today with maybe the best fish of the year lost :roll: The fish just went berserk while trying to land it before i knew it out popped the feed shallow two hooks on one of the trebles straight as an arrow.just wanted to know if anyone has changed the hooks on the FS what do you use and would the action of the lure be affected .
Last edited by razor2 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Feed Shallow Hooks

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:29 pm

i found that the feed shallows i bough this year had better sharper hooks on them then the ones iv purchased in previous years & didnt need replacing.
but the ones previous i had to replace them when i encountered the same problems as yourself.
i found that id alot more fish on the smaller models too.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:41 pm

That's sh#*y luck Ray! Wouldn't trust the original trebles myself, the first bass I caught on my feed shallow straightened a couple of the trebles aswell (luckily landed it), so changed them straight away to decoy single plugging hooks. Sad to say I haven't caught 1 yet since I changed :-( but I don't think the action is any different really. On the bright side for ya, at least you know they're still on the take :-)

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:46 am

SeanA101080 wrote:That's sh#*y luck Ray! Wouldn't trust the original trebles myself, the first Bass I caught on my feed shallow straightened a couple of the trebles aswell (luckily landed it), so changed them straight away to decoy single plugging hooks. Sad to say I haven't caught 1 yet since I changed :-( but I don't think the action is any different really. On the bright side for ya, at least you know they're still on the take :-)

To be honest Sean it was mighty to a right bang on the rod only the second time this year to get a whopper of a bang.But sur I will stick with it for a few weeks more.Any big cod about down your way yet ?

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:18 am

To be honest Sean it was mighty to a right bang on the rod only the second time this year to get a whopper of a bang.But sur I will stick with it for a few weeks more.Any big cod about down your way yet ?[/quote]

Nice few round the 3lb mark Ray. Some bigger caught already, up to around 6lb. Good sign, hopefully were on for a good season of them! I'll give the spinning another couple of weeks before I put the gear away and then concentrate on the cod.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:34 pm

If you use a 'stiff' rod & have a tight drag you WILL bend any hooks on a lure.

I use a more 'through action rod' & set my drag correctly & haven't had any bent hook problems.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:01 pm

I’m very much a part-time / amateur lure fisherman, but on occasion when I have got on the fish with feed shallows, the original hooks are horrendous.

Small bass mangling trebles and larger fish straightening them out completely. We did change over to strong Fox pike trebles and had no problems with action of the lure or indeed catching a few fish!

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:18 pm

alby wrote:I’m very much a part-time / amateur lure fisherman, but on occasion when I have got on the fish with feed shallows, the original hooks are horrendous.

Small Bass mangling trebles and larger fish straightening them out completely. We did change over to strong Fox pike trebles and had no problems with action of the lure or indeed catching a few fish!

Good stuff just what i wanted to know