Lure fishing all year round

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:08 am

lads what species can be caught in the different months of the year... can you get pollock on ther lure all year round?
mackerel are summer.... is there winter fish for the lure??

Thanks.

Re: Lure fishing all year round

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Bass all year around mate u just have too go about it a bit different to summer lure fishing;-)

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:43 pm

You can still get the odd pollock but using lrf you will catch loads of different species even a few codling:)

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Lure fishing for Bass and sea trout is possible over the winter/spring months, Can be a little more demanding but fish can be got. Sea trout are seasonal however depending on your location dates will vary. Licence required too for trout.

LRF is great fun and can be applied almost anywhere. Common species the next few months would be pollack,coalfish,codling,flounder whiting,herring and much more.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:48 am

Imo lure fishing around Dublin and Wicklow in Winter is not worth the effort. There will be no sandeels or bait fish about, fish will try to conserve energy and will not be interested in chasing lures, the water clarity will be poor, the seas will be too rough and there will be clumps of seaweed about. You might get a few pin whiting or coalies under the right conditions, codling are hard to come by these days even the bait boys find it demanding in the Winter, and they put out the best of baits.
I would say concentrate on bait but bring the lure rod incase you get lucky with the conditions.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:12 am

Coalies - glashon up around the north coast sometimes to plague proportions. nothing great size wise possibly up to a couple of pound, but for sheer fighting ability and strength, best pound to pound fighter in my book. :)

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:54 am

lrf wrassling all thru winter

Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:26 pm

agardiner22 wrote:lrf wrassling all thru winter

i'll be after wrasse on the lure all winter too. Bass are possible down these parts too.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:27 pm

sailnfish wrote:

i'll be after wrasse on the lure all winter too. Bass are possible down these parts too.

they are my favourite fish, Clare will be hit hard

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:37 pm

agardiner22 wrote:
sailnfish wrote:

I dident know wrasse were a winter option. Also around wexford?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:08 am

Camcolite wrote:
agardiner22 wrote:
sailnfish wrote:

I dident know wrasse were a winter option. Also around wexford?

There's still some about Wexford locations and will remain so for another bit. They will die off though for a few months.