Weightless rigging of soft plastics

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Have been getting into my soft plastics fishing recently and have been mainly using the standard texas rig with a small weight at the hook.

I have been seeing some talk of "weightless" soft plastic rigging online but I'm not sure how it would work. Obviously it might give an even more realistic action to the lure, but with no weight how are you meant to cast the thing? Im having trouble casting my texas rigged lure 20-30 yards at the moment never mind a lure with no weight .

So folks whats the story?

Re: Weightless rigging of soft plastics

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Whats your rod rated, maybe your rod is not rated to the weight your casting you should be getting more than 20-30 yards

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:22 pm

I never really bother with weightless rigging, i always have to put a split shot on the head of the soft plastic, got sick of doing that so i just have a small tackle box full of different sizes and types of jig heads, the best i find are either the savage gear sand eel jig heads or the vast majority of weedless jig heads, i also use weedless hooks and rig my SP to it will a drilled bullet type lead up the line that i can squeeze down over the eye of the hook and the top of the SP, or you could try using boobies or tubes where you can pull a jig head up through it so the lead is hidden but the hook is proud -> http://bassdozerstore.blogspot.ie/2010/ ... heads.html

:D :D :D

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:55 pm

razor2 wrote:Whats your rod rated, maybe your rod is not rated to the weight your casting you should be getting more than 20-30 yards

Well to be fair im using a spinning rod I "inherited" thats rated 40-80 g so could that be why im not getting the distance- the weight im casting isnt enough to load the rod?

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:00 pm

jgraham768 wrote:I never really bother with weightless rigging, i always have to put a split shot on the head of the soft plastic, got sick of doing that so i just have a small tackle box full of different sizes and types of jig heads, the best i find are either the savage gear sand eel jig heads or the vast majority of weedless jig heads, i also use weedless hooks and rig my SP to it will a drilled bullet type lead up the line that i can squeeze down over the eye of the hook and the top of the SP, or you could try using boobies or tubes where you can pull a jig head up through it so the lead is hidden but the hook is proud -> http://bassdozerstore.blogspot.ie/2010/ ... heads.html

:D :D :D

Yeah as I said I had no real issue with the way im currently rigging my sp, I observed the action up close and it seems very good. Was just interested as to what all the fuss was about with weightless.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Well the rod is way overweight for that anyways, my 10-30g Devils are more like 2-20g and I need every bit of the 'shakey' to get my plugs and stuff out there! It all relies heavily on the action of the rod what you can cast and how far, really tippy rods cast small lures and weights better but at the same time your missing backbone for a heavy strong fish e.g for pollock off the boat I mostly use Emerald Sea Spin 15-45g just because its a heavy action, (Heavy F-ing rod too) just so i can stop their run to the kelp but because it's a heavy action i have to use a heavy lure so i can feel what's going on. For weightless jigs you'd have to use LRF stuff but i don't know much about LRF fishing at all at all.. :(

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:51 pm

shortcircuit wrote:
razor2 wrote:Whats your rod rated, maybe your rod is not rated to the weight your casting you should be getting more than 20-30 yards

Well to be fair im using a spinning rod I "inherited" thats rated 40-80 g so could that be why im not getting the distance- the weight im casting isnt enough to load the rod?
I had the same problem myself its the rod.look for something rated 10g-30g or 7g-25g or in around that .You will see a big difference in your casting and at that rated rod you will be able to use hard lure as well.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:37 pm

20/30 yards is fine, in fact plenty of fish could fit in 20/30 yards of water in front of you, sp's are not metals.... when you start catching you will forget about distance but until then it is a struggle for confidence.

I would definitely recommend a new rod and maybe reel for enjoying your sp's more -

SAVAGE GEAR XLNT DROP SHOT ROD 9ft

Shimano Exage FD

This is what i use for sp's and love it, I believe I would have to spend a lot more money to get better feel and enjoyment, but less expensive kit will do just the same job up to you.

BUT

in my mind distance with light lures =

1. Thinness of Line

2. Length of Rod

and lastly rod rating's/action which are always off a bit anyway, from there sales blurb (imo).

With that in mind I would recommend braid in 1.0 PE (I use - Sunline Cast Away) and 15lb fluro leader (I use - Seaguar Ace Hard) & (important) .35 mono if fish are pinging your fluro leader off sharp rocks put a long mono leader on. Mono > Fluro in regard to abrasion (imo)

I go with lighter line (0.8 PE / 11lb fluro) over clean ground, spare spool on the Shimano's is very handy .... anyway i typed too much, that is what i use my recommendation thin line.

Good Luck.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Now, seriously lads ;) - you're doing it all wrong! - Have you never heard of the latest innovation called the 'wavespin reel'? :? :shock:
It's the dogs danglies (from what I've heard) and you have to own at least one of them, which has then to be combined with a fancy custom build rod, obviously, which in turn is equipped with the all casting problems solving 'MicroWave' rings. :idea:

You are all fishing with Stone Age equipment lads. I really feel sorry for you, not surprised ye are all struggling :)

Anyone equally confused as I was first?

:arrow: Watch it all unfold in glory here, or just do a search.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vKM9s273z-w

and for the 'MicroWave' rings just click on the link here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wphQ_XigSk

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:54 pm

had this problem too and I sorted it by getting new line and filling the spool correctly. I also use weighted hooks for some types of sp's. I think it depends on lure type and wind. Thats what sorted me out.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Not sure about the reel but the guides are something else, Simply put they give the best of both fixed spool and multiplier casting, by using the reliability and safety (no racing spool) of a fixed spool reel, followed by the performance of a multiplier once the line passes through the first modified guide. I have tried these and guess I'm one of the few people in Ireland who has actually tested the product :)

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks everyone the advice is very welcome.

Following on from this can you folks recommend a decent spinning rod that will be able to cast soft plastics, hard plastic lures all the way up to hard metal lures?

Not asking much I know . . .!

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Jesus im lost now :?

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:23 pm

razor2 wrote:Jesus im lost now :?

Thank goodness!

I thought it was me. These guys certainly know how to complicate things. :)

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:49 am

shortcircuit wrote:Thanks everyone the advice is very welcome.

Following on from this can you folks recommend a decent spinning rod that will be able to cast soft plastics, hard plastic lures all the way up to hard metal lures?

It'll be very hard to find a rod to bridge the gap between soft plastics and hard metals but my Abu García Devil spinning rod 10-30g is what I bought last year starting out and I loved it so much that I bought a second one, this year then added an Abu Vendetta casting rod which i'm still getting to grips with but I like for the heavier plugs and spoons I use at times. But if I'm completely honest although I got two of the Devil's with reels for cheaper than the Vendetta and casting reel I'd pick the Devils first if i could only take one rod. They're just such a great all round rod, last summer I spent alot of my time spinning for trout with the Devil so i exclusively casted 3-5g spinners without any extra weight or fuss and also I've used them on the boat jigging german sprats (38g) for pollock and it coped outstandingly but i wouldn't recommend casting anything over the 30g safety zone but it does have the ability if you use a slow careful cast. Basically the last evening I was out I riggedup the two Devils and the Vendetta, one Devil I put a savagegear sandeel 27g (i think) on the other a rapala maxrap 17g and then on the vendetta an abu surface popper 40g to cover basically all my bases and had three bass to 4lb in a two hour session.. :) I've got Mitchell Avocet Gold III 4000rd reels on both of the devils and i couldn't be happier! :) It makes for a nice light balanced rod that I can put my jig head onto a bass's nose from 60 yards!

Of course all the lads have their own set ups and you be sure mine is by far and away not the best but I think it's the best set up you can get for €50!!

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am

the only one I know is the legendary 'Skyblade Adrenalin', now renamed to 'Skyblade Professionell Classic' the original is very hard to come by and sometimes sold on ebay between 500 and 1000 Euro.
The blanks are now made in the US but finished and sold mostly in Germany. More info here, unfortunately all in German: http://www.bigfishworld.de/Ruten/Spinnr ... ::330.html
here is a video to see the rod in action, the guy is drilling a 100lb catfish with this rod.
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2299584/Adr ... ller_Drill

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:57 pm

jgraham768 wrote:

It'll be very hard to find a rod to bridge the gap between soft plastics and hard metals but my Abu García Devil spinning rod 10-30g is what I bought last year starting out and I loved it so much that I bought a second one, this year then added an Abu Vendetta casting rod which i'm still getting to grips with but I like for the heavier plugs and spoons I use at times. But if I'm completely honest although I got two of the Devil's with reels for cheaper than the Vendetta and casting reel I'd pick the Devils first if i could only take one rod. They're just such a great all round rod, last summer I spent alot of my time spinning for trout with the Devil so i exclusively casted 3-5g spinners without any extra weight or fuss and also I've used them on the boat jigging german sprats (38g) for pollock and it coped outstandingly but i wouldn't recommend casting anything over the 30g safety zone but it does have the ability if you use a slow careful cast. Basically the last evening I was out I riggedup the two Devils and the Vendetta, one Devil I put a savagegear sandeel 27g (i think) on the other a rapala maxrap 17g and then on the vendetta an abu surface popper 40g to cover basically all my bases and had three Bass to 4lb in a two hour session.. :) I've got Mitchell Avocet Gold III 4000rd reels on both of the devils and i couldn't be happier! :) It makes for a nice light balanced rod that I can put my jig head onto a Bass's nose from 60 yards!

Of course all the lads have their own set ups and you be sure mine is by far and away not the best but I think it's the best set up you can get for €50!!

I actually saw that rod on dan lynchs site i was thinking if the rod was anyway good id be tempted. Your review is definitely prompting me in this direction

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:13 pm

shortcircuit wrote:I actually saw that rod on dan lynchs site i was thinking if the rod was anyway good id be tempted. Your review is definitely prompting me in this direction

Well I am thoroughly pleased with both of the rods, the first reel i got on the first one was a mitchell avocet bronze and it wasn't the best so i replaced it but it was a combo deal I got where I work. The vendetta can be gotten in a spinning version as well at a slightly higher price at €35-50 and its a lovely rod too!
http://www.harrissportsmail.com/en/Abu- ... 18048.aspx

But to be honest i'd recommend the devil because its cheap enough that you wont break the bank and be your screwed if your not happy, if you get a decent enough reel you can just throw it on a different rod you prefer!

At the same time it's never a bad idea to go to a good taackle shop and try a few for feel