Peeler Bait

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:24 am

Hi Guys,

New to spinning and thought I would ask for some advice.
I was supposed to be going out on a boat trip from Howth this evening but it was cancelled last night due to weather/tides.

I preparation I hit Sutton beach last light looking for some crab to use as bait.
Spent a while looking of websites on how to identify peeler crab and I think I got lucky with a few.
Have three of them sitting in the boot of the car.

Now that the boat trip is out of the question, I was wondering if someone had any advice on how to use them while spinning?
Don't want to waste them after spending an hour lifting rocks at low tide!

Re: Peeler Bait

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:44 am

spinning with peeler :? :?:
peel them put them on a hook with bait elastic cast and leave till you get a bite

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:50 am

ShaneH wrote:spinning with peeler :? :?:
peel them put them on a hook with bait elastic cast and leave till you get a bite

Sorry...is that a stupid question?
New to fishing here...was thinking a small bit of crab could be wrapped around the hooks of something like a kilty lure with elasticated cotton or the like.

Sure you're right though, I might just pop it out and leave it there.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:56 am

no such thing as a stupid question well so they say :mrgreen: ah no your better of popping it out and leaving it
have a cast on poolbeg you mite get a hound with the crab 8)

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Just keep them in the fridge for a future date no? Live crab keep well enough. Just do a search for info.

You could float them while your spinning but you would have to be sure of the float rod staying put if you got a big bite..... more trouble than its worth possibly.

Lugg on jig heads is always going to catch fish but never tried crab, suppose it wouldn't be impossible.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:07 pm

just reading posts and seen " Lugg on jig heads is always going to catch fish " was jw spinning them like ?

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:16 pm

not so much spinning but a very slow retrieve along the bottom has been successful for me

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Just free line the crab stand and hold the rod while the bait moves around in the current