Hello there people

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:15 pm

Well

Just joined this forum
Fishing the last few years nothing big just general mackerel and stuff.

Got first bass other night in waterford.
Instantly have the bug for fishing
Was pricing spinning rods and stuff around waterford after hours of googling the internet

My price range is €150.

Was offered a €40 shimano rod and reel with a lure for €130 all in.

Anybody recommend a nice little rod and reel.
Must not be over 10 ft as i cant use them properly.
Nice and light and wont snap in half after a few uses
Small reel but again lasts awhile

Sorry about all the questions but if its worth asking about this stuff its better asking the pros here

Thanks lads appreciate any response.

Re: Hello there people

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Dessie. Well I'm not a pro by any means but it might be an idea to find out the exact model Shimano rod and reel and the rods casting weight so the lads on here can advise you. If the reel has been used in saltwater there is always a bit of a gamble buying second hand. If you decide to buy new and the budget allows I would look at the Shimano Exage as a great reel.The 4000 or 2500 size would be best depending on the rod. I will let the lads suggest a new rod as there are lots of new well priced rods around at the mo. See the Tronix Pro HTO thread for example. I have and really like a 2009 Savage Gear Bushwhacker but there have been a lot of reports of snapping tips lately.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks for the reply and advice.
I will be fishing from shore
Bass only as I fish for mackerel / pollack / etc with other rods
There's a fair amount of choice around

I don't want to be casting over 40g

And your right second hand stuff is a little dodgy buy after its great for starters

Since you seem to know the story.

I have €150.

Rod I would like to be is 8ft to 10ft

Small reliable ( very ) reel

Will be using mini line and then filling with braid

If you could put me straight I would appreciate it.

Thanks again

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:32 pm

Deise I would suggest you consider the Shimano Exage as a good choice of reel. If the rod is suitable you can get the second hand rod. If you want a new rod there a fair few available now in the €50 to €60 range or for even less. Unless you really need to use heavier lures a rod rated around 5-30g or around 10 or 15 to 40g will allow you to use most lures, be light in the hand and let you enjoy the scrap. With the lighter rod (mine is 6 to 28g) you can use light soft plastic lures and the most popular hard lures. The slightly heavier rod is not quite as good with the light sp's but you can use heavier lures if you wish. But don't sweat it either style of rod will give you plenty of options and the fish won't mind!

I will let the lads suggest some specific rods for you as I'm not completely up to speed with some of the latest models. They are prob. all out fishing at the mo.:grin:

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks again mate appreciate the help big time.

Now to google it and find the right one.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:49 pm

No probs. But try not to order anything until you hear from some more of the guys. I'm sure they will help you out with plenty of advice.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi mate and anyone elee sees this.

GRAUVELL TEKLON CONCEPT SPIN 802ML is getting rave reviews all round.

Also the shimano speedmaster.

Think im sold on the teklon

Now a reel. .

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:23 pm

If your budget can stretch to the Teklon go for it. Loads of people have them and I have yet to hear a negative comment. Veals in the UK sell them but Dan in Halfway Angling in Cork also used to do them for a good price.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi Deise,
i would get a Shimano Vengence rod, its around 40 euro and is fantastic value for money. It is in the 10 to 50 gram range and is an exellent bass rod and very good quality.

Tight Lines.
Tom

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Bassy Tom wrote:Hi Deise,
i would get a Shimano Vengence rod, its around 40 euro and is fantastic value for money. It is in the 10 to 50 gram range and is an exellent Bass rod and very good quality.

Tight Lines.
Tom
know something think your right mate as i be mad to go big money while still on the learning curve.
Which also leaves me with a but extra for a good reel

Lads appreciate the help

Anymore would be a bonus as in reel. Know i was told one but has anyone used it and do it work well

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Shimano Exage? Currently my first choice in lure reels. 4000 sized, one spool with 10lb braid for clean, sandy ground, the other with 20lb braid for rocky kelpy marks.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Sound lads.
Thanks a lot as I was getting my own head mashed up with so many types / sizes / etc.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376855034.716171.jpg

This is what got me going mental on bass fishing.
My first one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Bassy Tom wrote:Hi Deise,
i would get a Shimano Vengence rod, its around 40 euro and is fantastic value for money. It is in the 10 to 50 gram range and is an exellent Bass rod and very good quality.

Tight Lines.
Tom

I still cant believe that rod is around €40 the best budget rod around.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Deise boy wrote:Hi mate and anyone elee sees this.

GRAUVELL TEKLON CONCEPT SPIN 802ML is getting rave reviews all round.

Also the shimano speedmaster.

Think im sold on the teklon

Now a reel. .

whatever setup you decide on go to your local dealer and ask him to do you a deal on rod and reel. I use three tackle shops in dublin and i just haggle between the three it always works.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Yeah I did the same today and know now who's the best as there was a €40 difference in the stuff I priced in 1 shop

F@@king robbers man
I won't be back there.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:14 pm

I know a lot of regular SAI posters won't be happy seeing a dead bass in a kitchen, but bear this in mind:

It's his first bass. We all remember our first bass and how special it was.

I've checked with Deise boy, and the fish measured 41 cms and weighed 3 1/2 pounds.

Adverse commenting will not be welcomed.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:18 pm

I can take it. Lol

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:27 pm

I put all mine back Desie but there is nothing wrong with people keeping a fish or two. Anyway regardless there is no law against keeping up to two fish a day once they are above the size limit and they are not caught during the close season. As Tanglerat says your first bass is very special so congrats.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks lads.
Really appreciate all the help
My mate put me onto this site

Well glad he did.

Only joined today and now I know what rod / reel / line / lure to get me started.
3 tackle shops couldn't do it in a week much appreciated all honestly.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:05 am

Another vote for the shimano exage. doesn't cost a bomb and is nice to use and reliable. Congratulations on your first Bass!