Tronix HTO Lure game 9' 10-40g

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:25 pm

As anyone on here got this rod and how do they rate it. I know Henry Gilbey will have some words on this rod in his blog tomorrow don't know whether good or bad. I would like to try a 9ft rod and the Tronix LRF rods has had good reviews just wondered has it carried over to the HTO Game Rod?

Re: Tronix HTO Lure game 9' 10-40g

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Have read complimentary things on Facebook, certainly about the 8' model.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Don't know but the HTO rods that Veal's sell are really well priced. I would be tempted to try the 8 or 9 footer if I needed a new rod. I think Southside might do them too. I'm nearly certain they have the LRF version. No doubt Henry will give a glowing review as per usual tomorrow. :grin:

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:19 pm

South side have the lrf tronix pro rods in and the heavier version too

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Divisadero wrote:Don't know but the HTO rods that Veal's sell are really well priced. I would be tempted to try the 8 or 9 footer if I needed a new rod. I think Southside might do them too. I'm nearly certain they have the LRF version. No doubt Henry will give a glowing review as per usual tomorrow. :grin:

They have the HTO rods.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:28 pm

I have ordered one of these.I should have it in the next day or two.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:20 pm

As Bassboy said, Southside have them in, try getting your hands on one first before buying if possible.
Henry Gilbey's reviews tend to be all the same, positive. Probably a lot of vested interest there with tackle companies so hard to use it as a judgement.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:17 pm

It's not just Henry though. I'm afraid these days in the mainstream angling media there are only good reviews. So people can draw their own conclusions as to why that is the case. I have ranted about it once before on here so won't go off topic any further.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Divisadero wrote:It's not just Henry though. I'm afraid these days in the mainstream angling media there are only good reviews. So people can draw their own conclusions as to why that is the case. I have ranted about it once before on here so won't go off topic any further.

MackDublin wrote:As Bassboy said, Southside have them in, try getting your hands on one first before buying if possible.
Henry Gilbey's reviews tend to be all the same, positive. Probably a lot of vested interest there with tackle companies so hard to use it as a judgement.

I find Henry's review is very balanced actually, just to be fair. Have you read it?
http://www.henry-gilbey.com/blog/tronix ... rod_review

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Yes I had a quick glance through it the day it was put up and as predicted it is positive and not what one could objectively call negative. He does mention that the handle is not the perfect length for him personally but his conclusion at the end is as usual very positive. I do think that Henry has done a lot of good for fishing and is only doing what just about every other writer seems to do these days yet he alone seems to get all the abuse. I still think a negative review is in fact a positive thing as it allows an angler to avoid poor products and wasting their money on rubbish. If a writer's reviews are always positive it just doesn't add up. They are either dishonest in their reviews or more likely just don't write at all about tackle they believe is bad. For writers to just review items they think are ok or fantastic and opting not to write about poor products is in my opinion a cop out. By a negative review I mean advising consumers to steer clear of a product or at least stating that there are better options out there for their money. They might not have much of a career if they did and the freebies might dry up due to mags relying on the tackle industry for advertising revenue. But as a consequence it does mean that as anglers we need to be careful when it comes to reviews.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:38 pm

I thought it was a fair review. When Im buying a rod ,this forum is the first place i look to for reviews and opinions. I have four spinning rods none which Gilbey has ever reviewed on his blog, although i wish i took his advise and got myself the Teklon Concept. I will have a look at this rod myself and keep my eyes of this thread.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:14 pm

It's not any indvidual review by Henry or any writer that I have an issue with. It's just the general theme of never giving a negative review. It's akin to a film or theatre critic who says every movie or show is great.

Anyway back on topic I'm always interested in how budget rods perform so would like to hear how RicOshay or anyone else on here who gets the rod finds it.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Why look for a negative review? Henry reviewed the rod fair and square....and fairly objectively. I think he is tied a bit with Shimano now hence the review is laced with Shimano references.

I have reviewed many rods....I don't think I ever did a bad review. Once I got a rod, tried it, didn't like it so I sent it back... Just because I didn't like it did not make it a bad rod. It just was not doing it for me. Did I write about it? No...instead I wrote about a Pezon et Michel Gunki road that was and still is a superb rod.

There is so much choice out there now it is scary.... Personally I would not part with my cash until I got a feel of the rod. What suits one guys does not suit another. That said anybody that has bought rods or reels based on my reviews are getting decent tackle especially if they are fishing in a similar way.

I'd love to try a HTO rod but I rather like 7' rods and there is no 7' in the range....boooooo!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:17 pm

JimC wrote:Why look for a negative review?

Jim I've given my reasons twice in this thread as to why I believe a negative review once in a while is actually a good thing. So I will spare everyone by not repeating myself a third time. I agree with you though about the choice of rods now especially at the lower end of the market. I can't keep up and told a new member on another thread today that he should get advice from some of the other lads on here as regards some of these latest rods. For example the HTO rods look interesting as do the Shimano Stradics. But as you say trying them yourself is the only way to know for sure.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:44 pm

Just came across this tread, was looking for a 'hands on' opinion. Did any of ye get to try it out for yourself? Would really like to know as I'm looking for a new rod and have narrowed down to Savage gear buswhacker, abu vendetta, and this.
I value yer opinion much more than Henry !!! :)

Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:31 am

I have the Bushwhacker 10-40g love it.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:22 am

Bass 3rd wrote:Just came across this tread, was looking for a 'hands on' opinion. Did any of ye get to try it out for yourself? Would really like to know as I'm looking for a new rod and have narrowed down to Savage gear buswhacker, abu vendetta, and this.
I value yer opinion much more than Henry !!! :)

Buddy got an Abu Veritas - Cheap as chips...he likes it! You'll see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 6re46nyo44

Have a look at the Abu Rocksweeper Nano while looking at the Abu's.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:37 pm

I got the hto in 8ft lovely rod and well build cast well when it's loaded up but for me it's a a little soft on the tip and the action I'd guess at medium , unfortunately it's not for me I'm happiest with fast to very fast slim tip blanks and although its still a great rod for the price the quantum range might be an alternative range for similar money:-)

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:24 am

That's interesting Phil it must have more of a Japanese action. I'm not in the market for a rod at the mo but it sounds like the HTO might suit me. The price certainly does! I know a stiff rod is great for working most lures but I don't really enjoy playing fish on very stiff rods. Personal preference I suppose.

Bass 3rd the Bushwhacker is a great (stiff) rod but there have been a lot of reports online lately of the tips breaking. It could just be bad luck but as I said it seems to be happening frequently.