Landing nets

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Was fishing yesterday afternoon and managed to hook into my first bass of the year :D
The rest of the story is not so happy, After a great scrap on light gear i had this lovely 4 pound bar of muscle within touching distance but he threw the hook at my feet :oops:
No chance of a photo or anything.

It got me thinking that i would need a net to land a fish off most of the rocky areas that i fish from.

Do most of you guys that lure fish on your own off rocky use a landing net ?

If so how do you carry it around if you have a backpack on and are jumping from rock to rock ?

All suggestions appreciated.

Re: Landing nets

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Landing nets arent needed if you are not lifting the fish from a height , if you are they would come in handy for big fish like that. I always bring one incase i catch a fish around that size. A small hany one would fit in a bag

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:59 pm

telescopic nets are easy to carry

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:29 pm

I never use them myself wobbie, any idea how he got off? Slack in the line, shake of the head?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Tom i'd say he just threw the hook, i had him up on the ledge beside me and next thing he was sliding backwards into the sea :D
He was going back in anyway but he just went in a bit earlier than i planned.

I have had it a few times when landing seatout onto shore, whenever they touch solid ground & are still flapping around then they can easily get off the hook.

Not sure if it is the slack in the line or the fact that they are on solid ground but something you need to watch out for.

Small landing net clipped onto the back sound like the job.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Same thing happened me a few weeks back, in the market myself for one.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:17 pm

I feel your pain, I lost my first bass earlier this year at my feet, granted I gave him slack, but had I a net, he'd never have had the chance to throw the hook.
The net I got is a bit big/awkward though, any recommendation lads?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Kgarr wrote:I feel your pain, I lost my first Bass earlier this year at my feet, granted I gave him slack, but had I a net, he'd never have had the chance to throw the hook.
The net I got is a bit big/awkward though, any recommendation lads?

How about this one?
http://www.lureheaven.co.uk/spinning-lu ... .html#tab1

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:23 pm

That'll do the job thanks nicefish

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:12 am

I carry a landing net with me all the time if I am targeting bass,wrasse Pollack and I find the best way to carry it is in a SALT TRIPOD carry case if you have a telescopic handle then you can close it down and put it in the case as you move from mark to mark.

K.C

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:51 am

Same thing happened to me over the weekend, got a take, line stripping off the reel, rod doubled over, managed to see it but knew I couldn't land it, it was a massive Pollock around the 10lb mark, it threw the hook and it was gone, I was thinking landing net.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:29 am

when lure fishing from place to place , I carry everything in a back pack and also the net then is a folding telescopic one which i pass through the lower part of the straps along my back. It's out of the way when casting and playing a fish, but can easily be pulled out, and opened one handed if i need to haul a fish out that may casue me some trouble.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:54 pm

The best bet is prob a Gye style landing net that you sling over your back. They are traditionally used by salmon/sea trout anglers. The sea trout size will land the biggest bass. Should you be so lucky! The original Sharpes of Aberdeen nets are expensive but Snowbee do a good copy. Sturdy and they do a replacement mesh if it wears out. Southside tackle used to sell them. I think Wychwood may have just brought one out too. Just make sure the mesh isn't dangling around your feet. Safer than crouching down with a boga when perched on a rock I'd say. Better for the fish too if you are going to release.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Well, I was meant to get a landing net after I lost a PB Pollock but I didn't and I paid the price today on the Beara Peninsula. Have been down here for a few days and had some cracking fish, Wrasse to 5lb, Pollock to 8lb and Bass to 6lb. Today was no different, I was out for 8 hours and had fish after fish, lost count to be honest all on SP's. Just kept moving and catching. First cast into this Mark and I had a fish on, it kept going and going and I knew it was big, after a tug of war I gained line and it started to come in, then it took off again, I managed to get it to the surface and into a gulley and it was big, easily 10 plus, pollock, now was the time for a landing net, I got down on a ledge and tried to handball it up, I only needed to lift it 2 feet and it was in, managed to get it half out of the water and the weight was too much and my 20lb powerpro snapped, the fish fell back on it's side deep hooked and swam off. I was so gutted, always will be and will never forget that moment when all I needed was a net. At least I got the full force of such a big fish on a light set up. Next time I'm on the rocks I will be carrying a net for sure.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 pm

If you're rock fishing, that's price you must pay.
I always try to position myself where the fish can be landed with a hand net.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:20 pm

roryodonnell wrote:If you're rock fishing, that's price you must pay.
I always try to position myself where the fish can be landed with a hand net.

Well, I was well positioned but was hoping for something a bit smaller :)