Entry level rod

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi all,

looking for an entry level rod to use with soft plastics and light lures with a budget of around €50.
From reading other posts I have looked at the tronix pro (7-28g 7'10"), and the surecatch salty (7-25g 7')

Which would be the better of the two, or any other suggestions in this price range?

Also looking at pairing it with a rovex ceratec reel, either 2000 or 4000 size...any comments?

Thanks in advance

Re: Entry level rod

Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:18 pm

I have the 3-12g version of tronix Rod. It's a nice rod for price; no complaints and perfect for working SPs. I've heard good reports on 7-28g rod so I'd buy that one myself

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks for the reply,

What size reel do you use with that...as above i'm looking at the rovex ceratecs. Would the 4000 be too big for the rod?

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:30 pm

I use a shimano catana 2500 FD

The 4000 size would be a bit big to me but whatever you feel comfortable with.

If you are using braid then the smaller spool size would be a better choice

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:17 pm

I picked up one of these recently http://amazonas.town.ie/products/20335 .
Might be another option.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:24 pm

I use the surecatch salty and cant say enough about it .I have a bushwhacker aswell but will always go for the surecatch .Its a tough little rod and is very light to hold great rod for the money and will pull the bottom of the sea for you .so well able to take a bit of rough handling .Dont let the 7ft put you off there is some whip off it :wink:

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Where can you buy the surecatch salty from..

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Dont have one but Rory put up a link to a blog where they did a review of a rovex ceratec - think it was dizzybigfish or something? Got a good review anyway and looks like good specs for a reel that won't break the bank.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:11 pm

There's the review there.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Cluais wrote:Where can you buy the surecatch salty from..

Try the tackle shop in Cobh or Th sports in Midleton.If that fails try Dennetts or ask Jimc here on SAI if he knows where to get one

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Where are you based blueigloo?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks for all the advice lads,

I'm in Cork, so Cobh and Midleton are within reach if they'd have them. I'll also be in Dublin next week if you know of somewhere handy near city centre...Henry's possibly?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:50 pm

Ask the dealer if they deal with Dennetts - If they do they may just have the Powerbraid Salty in stock. Gearys in Cobh used have them in stock.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:44 am

If you are in Dublin then Henrys is worth a visit. I picked up a Savage-Gear Mpp Soft lure rod for €65 there a while back which is slightly over your price range but worth considering. 8'3 rated 7 to 23 (slightly overstated - 15-18g lures would be optimum). Lovely tip for SPs, good fixtures and fittings and also a cracking sea trout rod. It's easily the equal of rods double its price and has relegated my other more expensive rods to the shed for most of my fishing. Ring ahead to check if they have one before calling though. Some piccies on page 9 of the SG catalogue http://savage-gear.com//Magazine.html?i ... 2013_ENG#8

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:23 pm

Just said id let ye know what I bought in the end;
Went for the tronix rockfish ml and rovex air strike reel. Seems nice for the price, now just to hook something with it :)

Thanks for all the advice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.