Re: Why all the bling?!!?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 pm

I was thinking about this subject yesterday and i have to say I’m looking at it from a different angle but i'd put the cost of lures aside for the moment. They are just ridiculous and i don't think anyone can justify there cost, period! if you can, kindly explain because i’m stumped.

What i enjoy about angling is (a) relaxation, peace, scenery, and learning about our coastal habitat (B) the goals i set myself and trying to achieve them as a challenge. However the strange thing is I’ve never been a patient man, and my family never really understand why i liked fishing so much. I will say though that what i don't like in fishing is being cold, uncomfortable, out of my dept or being frustrated by my equipment or not having something when its needed most. its also important to remember that most of us travel great distances and our bait costs money or our lures need to suit the quarry in front of us (so you need a selection). if something isn't working for me and is making me frustrated i look at how i can improve my routines to make the overall experience more enjoyable.

I'd love to think when I’m an old man that I’d be like one of these guys in the 70's standing out in the surf catching fish with everything I’ve learnt over my life time but i can guarantee I’ll be well layered, a light rod to combat anglers fatigue and a decent pair of breathable waders so I’m not wasting my time layering in the first place.

Forget the word bling. my equipment allows me to enjoy my hobby to its fullest and cuts out any frustrations which can ruin a well prepared evening, night or early morning.
Last edited by jhcabs on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:38 pm

The essence of my post was that too many people are putting the cart before the horse.

The reason for that is that I think equipment, or more precisely the perception that you have to have the "right" equipment, is becoming more important than having a grounding in times, tides, fish behavior. Have I been looked up and down and felt like I was being judged - yes, in fact it happened last weekend when I escaped a family holiday and turned up at a rock mark in Cork to pass an hour wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Was the same guy over to me an hour later wondering what lures I was using and how come I had landed a couple of bass when he had caught none - yes. Hate to say it, he had all the gear but no idea.

Hell, after feeling like a pig on a spit in 32 degree heat recently in a pair of vinyls, I'll definitely consider a pair of breathables when my current pair give up the ghost. Do I feel the need to rush out and buy them now because thats what people are wearing in the blog pictures? No.

Do I have a sling bag, pliers, poloroids? Do I fish with good braid, a couple of good rods and Shimano/Daiwa reels? Yes. Why - because they make life a lot easier on the water. Have I several boxes full of lures - yes. Why - to cover all of the bases and grounds I will be fishing.

I like gear. I like dropping into Henry's, spending a few bob and having a chat with the lads. I like gear that is functional, makes life easy and might give me an edge.

When I first started lure fishing - did I feel the need to dress to impress and gather every gadget and lure under the sun before I even ventured out on the water.....No. Have I met people who appear to be doing exactly this? Yes.

That was my question folks. No criticism of people buying gear and indeed having good quality gear which they enjoy using. Just a question as to why so many now seem to put the cart before the horse and what has influenced them to do this.

Not having a go at anybody - but no point having a boga tucked into your hip bag when you don't have the basics required to catch a fish to use it on........

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:04 am

You can always tell the guys who have built up there gear over the years and with it there knowledge, you can almost guarantee that every thing they carry / use helps them catch fish or makes fishing easier be it cheap or expensive it works and that is all that matters, it is the " all the gear no idea" people that make me laugh

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:59 pm

The age old formula - BLing + BLog + BLack (minnow) = Bassfisher

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:51 pm

not to be confused with the age old formula: blurb + bling - bass = blank ;)

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Ah let em be. :-) Some people are new to this, some doing it years. Some people use the best, some what they can afford. What does it really matter. All that matters to me is my Bass fishing and my attitude to the fish and the sport.
If that person with the best of everything is happy who are we to criticise, regardless if they are new to Bass fishing or not. So what if they think they know it all, as long as they are not in your face about it let em be. In every walk of life you will find people who want the best of everything, cars, watches, houses and so on. Fishing is no different although the trend for expensive lures and rods really has taken off in the last number of years. Its a combination of newer technologies helping the sport and people seeing an emerging market and an opportunity to make money.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:53 pm

baitdigger wrote:I think it is a myth created and perpetuated by those who believe that all that gear is necessary to be classed as a Bass angler.
Many very good anglers that I know do use every new innovation going and if you pockets are deep enough and it helps you enjoy your day why not?
I still havent grasped the need for Boga grips on Bass myself?
Probably the most success Bass angler I know in North Clare carries his gear in a green Dunnes bag with a bit of rope on it to make a handle. He uses mono and many of his Bass have fallen to a redgill trailed behind a bubble float.
IMHO As a whole we are moving away from the ideal that we go out to enjoy ourselves and have confused catching the most or having all the gear with the ultimate aim of the pleasurable day out.

The most honest and to the point opinion I have seen on this thread, bogas have been pictured on Henry glibys blog for years now, and I myself see no point of them...

The best anglers I find are the ones that are not interested in the bling and just interested in catching bass...

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:55 pm

danbrosnan wrote:
baitdigger wrote:I think it is a myth created and perpetuated by those who believe that all that gear is necessary to be classed as a Bass angler.
Many very good anglers that I know do use every new innovation going and if you pockets are deep enough and it helps you enjoy your day why not?
I still havent grasped the need for Boga grips on Bass myself?
Probably the most success Bass angler I know in North Clare carries his gear in a green Dunnes bag with a bit of rope on it to make a handle. He uses mono and many of his Bass have fallen to a redgill trailed behind a bubble float.
IMHO As a whole we are moving away from the ideal that we go out to enjoy ourselves and have confused catching the most or having all the gear with the ultimate aim of the pleasurable day out.

The most honest and to the point opinion I have seen on this thread, bogas have been pictured on Henry glibys blog for years now, and I myself see no point of them...

The best anglers I find are the ones that are not interested in the bling and just interested in catching Bass...

And what I meant to say is that's why bogas have taken off with the bling brigade... Because they are pictured on Henry glibys blog, fair play to him I say, I betcha he gets about 100 of them a year for free...

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:49 am

Boga - a complete waste of money IMO, and I stress IMO. Im sure some people love em.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Well I wouldn't buy one and I know a lot of anglers who wouldn't buy one, I have seen them priced at €80 IMO.....

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:02 pm

no bling no boga http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jimhen ... rt=3&o=167

Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:20 pm

The smile says it all, beautiful fish.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:41 pm

I don't have a Boga but if somebody feels the need to carry one then that's up to them. I never had a need for one after all these years and that's the way it's going to stay but if somebody is unsure how to handle Bass then it will come in handy, otherwise, as we all know Bass are full or spikes and they will cause damage to the inexperienced angler if handled incorrectly.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:36 pm

I don't have a boga but i would say they are very handy if your standing on dodgy ground.Its not the spikes that do the damage I find its when your holding the bass. When unhooking the fish when they shake the head I always seem to get caught with the treble on my hand if i cant put the bass on the ground.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:46 pm

I know were going off topic now but try replacing with single hooks, you wont look back. Much easier to unhook, quicker too and can even keep bass in water if thats your wish. I have replaced both my metal lures and a lot of my diving hard lures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:40 am

Yes. Been using size 1/0 Decoy Pluggin singles on all my sub-surface lures for a couple of years now. AGM also do some well-priced Matuzo ringed hooks. Hook up rate hasn't reduced either.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 pm

A couple of weeks ago on the family hols, i got a chance to get a bit of lure fishing, I managed to catch my first bass and was very grateful. I used a fladen spinning rod 15eur, a tiny reel for 5eur in woodies with 4lb line for 3eur and a shallow dive lure that i bought on ebay for 10eur for 5 so the lure was 2eur basically. I have the philosophy of if they are there and are feeding they will take, if not fine. As long as I am fishing i am happy.