Shock Leader

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Hey lads just wondering how much shock leader i should use, whats the norm, or is there a rule of thumb?

Re: Shock Leader

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:04 am

Hey Sean i use the braid straight through but i would like to know myself

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:08 am

I always go with 7 to 8 turns of the reel.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:34 am

Have a looky:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41925

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:36 am

3 to 4 turns on the reel is all I use

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:39 am

Lure fishing? No need at all to have any turns of the leader on the reel.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:14 am

I've always had braid straight through but thinking of mixing it up every now and then to see what works. Seems like lots of fellas use flouro leader,looks like its more common than I thought! Could it be an advantage if there's lots of weed about, so that the swivel will catch the weed coming down the line and not allowing it to get to the lure??? Always open for new ideas to catch a Bass :lol:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 am

I use a leader all the time when lure fishing especially around rough areas or rocks as braid doesn't stand up to well to abrasion from rocks or snags.

I normally have it about 18 to 30 inches which allows the knot to be outside the tip ring when casting avoiding the knot catching the eyes of the rod. I would tie a new leader everything I go fishing, better safe than sorry and lose a good fish or lure.

As for the weed and catching on a knot or swivel, it just drives ya berserk!

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks for the feed back lads

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:16 am

As a guide, just less than half a rod length

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:58 pm

2' - 3' of fluorocarbon attached via a small swivel, biggest problem with it tied directly to the lure is when you get snagged and have to pull for a break, it could go anywhere and you might be leaving 50+ yards of expensive and potentially dangerous braid left behind. At least with a leader of a lesser breaking strain it's more likely to break than the braid.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:34 pm

I use about 2'-3'of flourocarbon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:11 pm

I've been using a two foot mono leader the last few times I've been out. Firsty for a bit more resistance to abrasion and secondly because I was told that with there being no stretch in braid it can make it easier for a hook to dislodge from a fish. Don't know if I have been doing it right but I do know it's a pain in the arse having to retie the leader to the braid when you lose a lure!

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Gerty,
its a pain in the ass but its essential when fishing rocky marks..
Dont fish braid without one.if you do you will loose fish and lures.
half the rod length is about right..you dont want the leader knot getting caught in the rod ring (on most lure rods the leader knot gets caught in the first eye if you retrieve too far..imagine what would happen on a cast)
Check your leader after every session or even if it gets a run along the rock and change mid session if necessary.
Tight lines