New set opinion needed

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi all,

I was looking for the past weeks for a new set for the upcoming season.
I am no new to lure fishing and have fished for the past 5 years now (not in ireland tho), so i wasn't looking into the basic rods and reels, however, my budget is quite limited so i have tried to come up with a decent set that will meet the requirements : rod 2.7m 9" (im not a big fan of the shorter rods as i think they affect the distance too much) casting 5-25g (i mostly use 7g jigheads with SP and some lures and the rear occation i'll put on a wobbler for the macks :) ).

Most of my fishing is being from the shore and some estuaries and rock spots.....anyway, the set i have found that will be quite right is the :
Shimano Forcemaster AX 27 ML 7-21g with Shimano Exage 2500FC.

Does someone have any experience with this one ?

my budget is around the 130-140 euro....if you have any reccomendation that i could get with this budget please feel free to share.

Thanks for your help,
Omer

Re: New set opinion needed

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:09 pm

I recently got a savage gear parabellum spin 7-23 gm 9 ft 2. I like it a lot. It's a medium action though so dunno would that be what you're after?

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:17 pm

I'd go for a 4000 sized Shimano, front loaded with 100m of braid and backed out with any old mono.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Don't know where you are based Omer?

If you are in Dublin would be worth dropping into Henry's tackle. Ask to see the savage gear MP predator rod. 8"3 casts 7-23g. It's a cracking rod for the money (€65). Lovely tip, good fittings, perfect for plastics and general spinning. Light as a feather too. Seriously recommend having a look at it. Bought one recently as a back up and very impressed with it (more precisely a back up to the back up of my back up!!!)

Personally I'd go with a 3000 sized front drag shimano. Will balance much better on a rod like this. Don't be put off by the line capacity, the sfc (shallow spool) still holds a tonne of braid and is more than capable of dealing with any fish you'll catch in Irish waters. You should be able to get a 3000 exage plus this rod for around 140ish and the lads will look after you with a deal.

If you're on a serious budget some of the okuma rods are decent. Salina and luremania are more modern style rods for very little cash. 40 quid will see you with a pretty decent rod.

As for braid, again if you're on a budget take a look at stren sonic pro. Performs way about its price point (€15).

Good luck with whatever you go for.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:03 am

thanks for the answers.

Steve, i'm based in Cork and i rarely get to be in Dublin.

According to Shimano there is no difference between the Exage 2500 and the 3000 - same weight, same gear ratio, same everything...the only difference is the 3000 comes with a shallow spool so the line capacity is a bit smaller. do you think there's stiil a reson to pick the 3000 over the 2500?
I am gonna have one spool with braid and the second with mono, probably something like 0.25-0.28 (according to shimano the 2500 size will hold 160m of 0.25 and the 3000 will hold 140m of 0.25)

the Savage gear MPP does look like a nice rod, do you know a store in Cork that might have it so i can give it a look?
I think the Shimano Forcemaster is sold for around the 55-60euro so not a lot of difference in price there...

Did you hear anyone who had experience with the Force Master?

cheers

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:17 pm

You are correct the Shimano 2500 and 3000 size reels are usually identical it is only the spool that is different. The 3000 comes with a shallow/match spool whereas the 2500 has a standard spool. I would go for the 2500 size as it is more versatile you just use more cheap backing when using fine braids. Remember you need to use a little backing or tape even on the 3000 size to prevent the braid from slipping. With the 2500 you can then use the spare spool for mono or heavier braid if you want to try a different style of fishing now or in the future. If you get the 3000 you can only use the lighter lines. The way I see it the 2500 size offers the best of both worlds.

One final thing you might want to get the rod first to see what size reel balances best. A 4000 might be a better choice on a longer rod. This depends on the weight of the reel. You can't go by size alone. I mean for example a 2500 Shimano Exage weighs around the same as a 4000 Shimano Rarenium.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2