Poppers

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Got a few poppers, are they any good for bass? Haven't tried them yet

Re: Poppers

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 am

poppers can be great for bass they work best i find from mid july on.surface fishing for bass is the most exciting way to catch them. check out some videos on youtube.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:53 am

What brand of popper?

I'll never go on a lure session without an Alie Mag. It's the first and last lure I'll use on any session, whatever other ones I'll use in between. JimH taught me how to use it properly and I've got spare ones in the car boot and in various tackle bags just to make sure I'm never caught out without one.

I've used other styles and brands with varying results. Some junk, some good.

Confidence in your tackle and in how you're fishing it is such a huge factor.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Yes they do work and very well. I find when fishing a true popper try fish it sooo slow almost to the point of boredom for the want of a better word. Nothing wrong with the one cast being out there for 5 minutes or even more. In saying that when the bass are on the feed hard they will hit anything. And sometimes the cheapest ones are the best imo.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:00 am

These ones I have are tsunami super poppers. Cheers for the info lads I think I will be trying these when I in Kerry in couple of weeks

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Nicholas6850 wrote:These ones I have are tsunami super poppers. Cheers for the info lads I think I will be trying these when I in Kerry in couple of weeks

Might be worth concentrating more on soft plastics or slow/suspending lures for the next few months until the water temp rises.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:37 pm

catching bass on poppers is definatley the most exciting way,i normally fish a storm 'chug bug' a great lure & not to pricey,also if you can pick up a lure called a 'coco-boco; popper,great popper in bad conditions & always picks up the bigger fish,hard to get now do.