Homemade soft plastics

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:25 pm

With the slacking off of fishing at the moment Im going to try my hand at making my own soft plastics.My mates been making wooded lures now with the last year and Iv seen his stuff come on leaps and bounds.

Iv going to use a two part mold system but Im undecided will I use plastics I already have and set them in clay or carve up some of my own and use them as a temp.

Any help,suggestions or your ideas on this lads would be great .

Re: Homemade soft plastics

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:45 pm

A recent thread:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41710

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Cheers Jim,I seen that ,I picked up some stuff from the french site.I hoping someone had made a go of it themselves and might have a few pointer.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi ther I've made some moulds from plaster of Paris,I glued some savagegear sand eels and jelly worms down on the bottom of a box and poured the plaster around them,I'm realy happy with how the moulds turned out,I just need to get sum plastic to pour :D what stuff did you you get from the French site?

Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:47 pm

The fish finder wrote:Hi ther I've made some moulds from plaster of Paris,I glued some savagegear sand eels and jelly worms down on the bottom of a box and poured the plaster around them,I'm realy happy with how the moulds turned out,I just need to get sum plastic to pour :D what stuff did you you get from the French site?

How did you find the finish from the plaster molds ? Did you make a one part mold and if so how did you find the action of the plastics with one flat side ?

Im going to make a one sided mold aswell as the two part. One part for the likes of worms and savage gear sand eels.

I bought WHITE SILICONE RTV and catalyst,1 liter of ridged and 1 liter of soft Plastilurre.I also picked up some mold release and some colors.

Have a look at Stripersonline.(its not what you think) All sorts of info on there.Iv been followings solorbaits blog for awhile on making wooden and resin lures.Hes now trying his hand at plastics.He is more then happy to answer any questions and is a member of striper and has a great youtube channel.

Im going to try some resin lures also based on some old shallow feeds.Getting the weight right I think will be the hardest part.But you can get aerator for the resin so its only a matter of calculating how much such a resin weighs when set.
Should keep me busy for the winter.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:00 pm

I made a couple of one sided one slick worms n stuff,by for big shads and savagegear eels I used a two sided one,I aren't actuly got any plastic yet,but the finish on the plaster of Paris is very good very smooth,tho I'd stil like to try that rtv silicone but that French site is very confusing haha

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:02 pm

i have made different types of fish by the use of plaster of paris its totally hand made....i want to share its pics on forum. soon i will.