Which Casting Shad?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:52 pm

As per title, what’s the best shad with a leadhead (inbuilt or not) of a couple of ounces that can really be belted out and fish deep across the kelp etc.

I find paddle tails extremely effective but ideally something like the rage eel or similar, but the big requirement is one that will cast well. I know you lure boys won’t let me down!

Re: Which Casting Shad?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:14 pm

What about the Savage gear Sandeel when we down in Waterford earlier in the year nearly everyone we met were using them :shock:

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:18 pm

the above mentioned is great but what also belts out well is the sidewinder sandeel and is a good lure .waveworms cast well on their own but cast even better with weighted hooks or cone shaped weights -well worth a go .

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:27 pm

The 42g savagear sandeels cast like bullets and get straight down to deep water. They can be straight retrieved and the tail gives them enough action. The jigheads that come with them have two eye positions so you can fish them hook up or down. I found the black/silver and the green silver to be best,so much so that I ended up colouring the white ones I had with a black permanent marker. deadly for shore pollack

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:41 pm

baitdigger wrote:The 42g savagear sandeels cast like bullets and get straight down to deep water. They can be straight retrieved and the tail gives them enough action. The jigheads that come with them have two eye positions so you can fish them hook up or down. I found the black/silver and the green silver to be best,so much so that I ended up colouring the white ones I had with a black permanent marker. deadly for shore pollack

They look the part alright, thanks.

I've tried the SG sandeel slugs but am not a big fan

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:44 pm

baitdigger wrote:The 42g savagear sandeels cast like bullets and get straight down to deep water. They can be straight retrieved and the tail gives them enough action. The jigheads that come with them have two eye positions so you can fish them hook up or down. I found the black/silver and the green silver to be best,so much so that I ended up colouring the white ones I had with a black permanent marker. deadly for shore pollack

yes +1 on this found them very good for casting

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:13 pm

The Fiiish Black Minnow would also be another option, its rigged weedless so that would suit you if you are fishing over kelp.They
come in a few differen't sizes 90cm,120cm amd 160cm. I use the 120cm with a 12g jig head and it works for me.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:16 pm

sawamura one up shad, good for pollack and bass and casts well with any jig and can be rigged weedless.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:48 am

Tsunami Holographic Swim Shad, length: 6.5" (16.5cm), Weight: 3oz (84g), colour: Chartreuse/Silver (see photo) http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/tsu ... -1605.html
I've cast well over 80yds with it, (20lb power pro and 2 ft flouro leader) paint the back with a black permanent marker and a bit of red around the gills, great lure for Bass and Pollock.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:32 pm

alby wrote:They look the part alright, thanks.

I've tried the SG sandeel slugs but am not a big fan

I personally think the sandeel slug is one of the best SP's on the market that I have tried to date, funny how some people prefer one thing over another. I actually prefer the SG slug to the standard SG sandeel but as you wanted a paddletail the sandeel is one of the most productive I have tried. I think the slug was more suited to the way I was fishing them, texas rigged on an offset EWG and bounced on the bottom really slowly through the rocks and kelp.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:04 pm

I personally think the sandeel slug is one of the best SP's on the market that I have tried to date, funny how some people prefer one thing over another. I actually prefer the SG slug to the standard SG sandeel but as you wanted a paddletail the sandeel is one of the most productive I have tried. I think the slug was more suited to the way I was fishing them, texas rigged on an offset EWG and bounced on the bottom really slowly through the rocks and kelp.[/quote]

The SG slug really are a fantastic bait, love the flesh coloured one myself, cant wait to use it in the beara next weekend

Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:12 pm

agardiner22 wrote:I personally think the sandeel slug is one of the best SP's on the market that I have tried to date, funny how some people prefer one thing over another. I actually prefer the SG slug to the standard SG sandeel but as you wanted a paddletail the sandeel is one of the most productive I have tried. I think the slug was more suited to the way I was fishing them, texas rigged on an offset EWG and bounced on the bottom really slowly through the rocks and kelp.

The SG slug really are a fantastic bait, love the flesh coloured one myself, cant wait to use it in the beara next weekend[/quote]

Black and silver has been the most productive for pollack wrasse and bass for me but I have had fish on all of the colours. The white one worked really well early in the season for pollack around North Clare.

If I could only bring one lure or sp back with me in the summer it would be the sandeel slug, so many ways of presenting it, you can even fish it on the surface

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:32 pm

yea and bite the head off like a cigar and it transforms to a surface popper AMAZING LURE!!!!