spinner / lure advice

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:22 pm

hello all, ive been doing a bit of spinning lately and not catching much! is it the wrong time of year for spinning?
should i be trying lures or soft plastics? ive never used any of these before.
ive been using various dexter wedges can anyone recomend any other spinners?
i try varying the depth and speed of retreival but i just dont seem to get many fish.
i fish several different marks with different ground types.

Re: spinner / lure advice

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:03 am

not being smart but what are you fishing for try 3 strong feathers they are good all rounders and 1-2 oz weight depending on your rod type spinners are OK but get something that has enough weight to cast a good distance at least half an oz jelly's are good but only for big Pollock try float fishing too wish you luck
Donal

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:46 am

Get some kiltys in both sizes and a few colours ,they never let me down everything likes them :D

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:01 am

thanks donal and eoghan :D im fishing for pollock and coalies, i usually use 38g wedges, i do float fish as well but the seas around here have been rough lately so i decided to try my hand at spinning :) i dont fish the bottom much (unless for conger) as i like to keep mobile and explore different marks. i have tried feathers but had no luck with them, what are kiltys?
thanks for the help. :D

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:43 pm

There a long sandeel type of spoon,irish made ,cheap enough too,a classic i never let myself run out of,ask in any tackle shop or go online

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Henrys have them: http://www.henrystackleshop.com/index.p ... rers_id=39

Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:32 pm

thanks for the replies :) are their any particular colours that seem to work well? i just use silver/blue wedges with a red exciter but i hear lure colour can be very important? i will defo give them a try!

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:44 pm

The colours u use depend on dept brightness and clarity,but silver or green good for bass,silver 20g seatrout,red and luminous pollack,but dont think it really matters

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:25 am

Again not being smart but what ground are you fishing over? A good spinner fished well will not catch if its over crap ground? Move about a lot too, cast a different angle to the shore each time and try different speeds - fish slow down in lower water temperature hence summer is best for spinning in my opinion, well at least around my parts

K

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:12 am

i fish over a mixture of ground from sand to rocky kelp, ive been trying different retrieval speeds but i only seem to catch small 15-30cm fish (30 cm being a biggie for me lol)

Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:27 am

Sounds like seatrout territory,any small silver lure will do,the trout can be caught year round,just wait for calm clear water and one of them "warm " days in winter,iv heard of a seatrout caught on new years day in north dublin on a lure,u mite even get a bass,try a small silver kilty or any slim sandeel type of lure

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:52 pm

a sea trout or a bass!! that would put me in heaven lol! i suppose you just dont know whats out there. :D

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:25 pm

jonnyarchi wrote:a sea trout or a Bass!! that would put me in heaven lol! i suppose you just dont know whats out there. :D

Yeah I'd be in heaven too :D

If your looking anything over 30cm you gotta think outside the box mark wise. Esp if your on/near the north coast which gets a lot of fishing pressure. Bigger fish tend to be resident so they tend to be the first to get caught and the first to go. Sent you pm on a few marks close to you if it helps

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:09 pm

thanks slackliner your help is much appreciated! :D