Specific Sea Trout Lure

Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi, I am looking for a lure to do a very spcific job.

Shallow running as shallow as the Ima Komomo II,

Floating lure,

Between 2" and 3"

A good caster, i have been using the small Rapala's but find i have to use a bubble to get any
distance, which is not what I would like when lure fishing.

Colour and Action, silver with a tight wiggle but this is not as important as the above.

Any help would be apprisiated even if it does not tick all th boxes on the above list, it still might get me on the right track to finding my dream lure. :wink:

Re: Specific Sea Trout Lure

Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi Camcolite, and welcome to SAI.

Now, this might be asking grannies how they suck eggs, but what's your set up re rod, reel, line type & breaking strain?

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:28 am

Hey Tanglerat, thanks for the welcome :wink: ,

Im using

Reel: Shimano Sustain

Rod: Croix Avid 9' L action

Line: Daiwa Tournament 8 15lb & and Riverge Grand Max 5lb fluorocarbon

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:25 am

Reel's sound, from what I read of it. Never used one of those myself. What's the weight on the rod?

Ever tried loading the reel with 10lb superbraid?

What sort of distances are you looking to hit?

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:06 pm

Dont know where ur based but if ur near dublin pop into henrys the lads have loads of lures and will give u lots of advice

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:49 am

Tanglerat wrote:Reel's sound, from what I read of it. Never used one of those myself. What's the weight on the rod?

Ever tried loading the reel with 10lb superbraid?

What sort of distances are you looking to hit?

The rod is rated for 1/8 - 5/8, not sure if thats what your asking, I actually dont know the actual weight of the rod.

Never tried the super braid, (brand?) the tournament 8 is .10mm rated I thought that was about as thin as it got.

As much distance as i can get, need to cover ground with the sea trout never know where they are. :wink:

Thinking of possibly switching to something like Dexter Wedge next time im out a seeing can i keep it above the snags,
probally just lose a couple of wedges do.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 am

eoghanb wrote:Dont know where ur based but if ur near dublin pop into henrys the lads have loads of lures and will give u lots of advice

Im not, closer to Wexford but my girlfriend is living in Dublin, work and all that, ill definitely check it out over the weekend.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:31 am

I would fish the same sort of ground Camcolite no more than 3 feet at 100 yds and very snagy. Would be looking at small slim casting jigs in the 5-12g size such as Reins Palpuntin and the Tackle House Nabura Deka. Also i would tend to take the treble off them and replace with a Decoy Plugging' Single fitted with two split rings :wink: Dexter Wedge type lures can be good (and cheep as well) but find that they can swim just a little to deep for very shallow water even if you keep the rod tip well up on the retrieve. As for the Daiwa 8 strand that is thin stuff! With the right set up (as you have) you might be shocked how far you can zip a small metal jig out :wink:

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:57 am

I don't know about casting distance but i have only ever caught sea trout on the Taz devils. The silver / green strip with black dots is the one used around this area. Not too expensive if you loose them either.

Wobbie10

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Tom H wrote:I would fish the same sort of ground Camcolite no more than 3 feet at 100 yds and very snagy. Would be looking at small slim casting jigs in the 5-12g size such as Reins Palpuntin and the Tackle House Nabura Deka. Also i would tend to take the treble off them and replace with a Decoy Plugging' Single fitted with two split rings :wink: Dexter Wedge type lures can be good (and cheep as well) but find that they can swim just a little to deep for very shallow water even if you keep the rod tip well up on the retrieve. As for the Daiwa 8 strand that is thin stuff! With the right set up (as you have) you might be shocked how far you can zip a small metal jig out :wink:

Thanks for the advice Tom like the idea of swaping out the treble, less chance to snag and faster unhooks for the fish, should have occured to me before now :oops:. Never spent much time playing with metal lures, but they will be something I will be getting more expeirence with definitely. :wink:

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:46 pm

wobbie10 wrote:I don't know about casting distance but i have only ever caught sea trout on the Taz devils. The silver / green strip with black dots is the one used around this area. Not too expensive if you loose them either.

Wobbie10

Thanks for the idea Wobbie, they are something like the Devon Minnow? i think have seen them, but never seen one in the water.