Clare Bass/Sea trout lure fishing?

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi guys.
Just moved to Clare and was wondering how good the Bass fishing is in Clare....IM NOT LOOKING FOR MARKS...i just want to know if it is any good ( i suspect that it is) and how long the lure fishing keeps going for...also can you catch Bass on bait in the winter..
Also is it worth lure fishing for sea trout over the winter...
Thanks in advance for any replys...if you would prefer to PM me then go ahead..

Re: Clare Bass/Sea trout lure fishing?

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:49 am

yes to lures, yes to bait for bass

never tried for sea trout on lures down there

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:59 pm

more of a lure man myself,still havnt gotten into the bait fishing..winter time for me means pike:)
even if you were looking for marks i couldn't give you and reliably ones..i've been spinning for bass for 4years and still havnt found any place that produces any bit regularly. August and September seem to be best for lures although i'm gona brave the cold at least once this week just on the off chance.
best of luck,its an adventure:)

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:53 am

L - yes and yes!

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:35 am

As has been said already lure fishing is excellent in Clare, from Bass to Sea Trout and also some great Pollack fishing too...

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks guys...do ya think I might get fishing with lures up to xmas...i know it is very hit and miss but in West waterford if conditions are right they can be caught into december..as for sea trout?

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:58 am

L - different here a little in the SE at times but yes again - had a friend of mine forget to 'book' an organic turkey from a local butchers for Christmas Day. Not to bad except his wife had invited her parents from the UK for a special time etc. This was Christmas eve and he needed something special - 3 hrs later he had a fresh bass which saved the day somewhat!

Between now and December very possible but a little more difficult.....as usual!

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:09 pm

Would it be permissible to target sea trout in the winter in Clare? The season up here is now closed and wont reopen until February.

I always put my lures away at this time of year and stick with bait for the winter, but I remember a few years back a lure diehard got a 12lber on Xmas Eve...

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:35 am

8) we had sum good bass on lures in jan/feb last 2 yrs,....... if you are fishin for seatrout..........size 2/3 flyin c, wen u iz fishin watch for follows, shallow weedy/sandy areas over hw on spring tides. on warmer days..

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:16 pm

cortaz wrote:8) we had sum good Bass on lures in jan/feb last 2 yrs

That Xmas Eve 12ber was caught in Old Parish right enough. But the winter seas up here get clouded more often than I remember the more sheltered waters east of Minehead. And Clare faces into the worst of western swells too so I'd guess it's got the same problem.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:45 am

When lure fishing in winter and getting nothing try the brightist maddist looking thing in the box sometimes ull get a reaction when ur reliables arnt doin the job

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:39 am

I had a great session over that way last Sunday. I'm hoping to get across again this weekend. Stuck between Cork Cod and Clare Bass :roll:

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:47 pm

and there i was going to waterford thinking conditions would be perfect...very calm..low tides.only a few missed pollock on sp's feck it anyway...right next fishable weekend is in Clare...even though its getting chilly..still water temps still not too bad yet
Thanks art..will try the flyin C's....them things are great fish catchers alright
I'll get a licence and keep to the ban if i do target the trout by the way...
thanks all for the answers...its good to get the confidence up in a new area
thanks again..