hooking fish using braid

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 am

I recently embraced the modern world and got a new bushwhacker rod and a decent spinning reel + 30lb braid,so i thought id try my new toy somewhere easy,a stocked trout lake,i must have hit about 20 fish but didnt have them on more than 5 seconds i tried stricking,not striking ,rod low/high,fast slow retrieve,i had a flouro leader on,but all failed to hook peoperly,iknow if id used mono id have got most of them,any ideas? They club has a single hook policy when spinning

Re: hooking fish using braid

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:16 pm

what type and size were the trout? what size hooks did u use?

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:59 am

The bushwhacker is quite a stiff rod. Along with the braid, there is perhaps, little "give" or absorbsion in your setup. Fully open your drag on your reel next time, then tigthen up until each head shake takes some line.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:04 pm

I thought dat might of been the problem so i tied in a small bit of power gum seemed to do the trick,dont know how it will work with bass though ,ill have to hook one an see

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:45 pm

I'm surprised you had problems. Anyway, you should have no probs on the hook-up front when it comes to bass. I have the 2009 Bushwhacker and use 30lb braid with a fluro leader and have no probs at all and prefer the braid to mono. I also use braid on my baitcasters for pike (and chub when I lived in the UK) and had no probs either.

Haven't tried trout though!

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm

your set up would be perfect for pluggin for pike. Slight bit of overkill for trout though.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:53 pm

have a walk down by the dispensery in liexlip . There's a great spot for pluggin behind the courtyard