casting a lure

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:10 am

started fishing a few months ago and i bought alot of different lures but i find them terribly hard to cast any distance they are between 20-25g and was wondering if im missing something or do i need a flexible rod to flick them out further.

cheers

Re: casting a lure

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:28 am

It could be a number of things id be thinkin its down to your line choice and if your using a beachcaster or the like this will play a part too as they are two heavy and won.t compress during the cast . What you want is a dedicated ten foot spinning rod of a ten to thirty gram cast rate paired to a small spinning reel with ten pound line anything heavier and it can hinder the cast. If its plug fishing you are goin to concentrate on there are great pike ones that have a stiff backbone allowing the plug to really work but only effective for close range really . Hope this helps

Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:02 pm

If you are using lures of 20gm plus you should have absolutely no problem whatsoever in casting them at least 60 yds plus. If you are getting less than that then it is probably your rod. You must make sure that your rod has a casting weight compatible with the weight of your lures. I use a Mike Ladle 1010Pro and I have absolutely no problem in casting lures between 10 -24 gms to distances compatible with their weight, 60m -70 yds +

Check the casting weight of your rod and make sure it is a rod designed for lures and the like. Also, you will gain more distance with braid than mono/nylon.

Hope this helps.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:53 am

thanks for advice

can you guys point me in the direction of a decent rod and reel for about £50 for spinning from the rocks

cheers

Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:22 am

keano wrote:thanks for advice

can you guys point me in the direction of a decent rod and reel for about £50 for spinning from the rocks

cheers

I can't really, £50 is a tight budget. I'd have a look at Veals as they often have combo deals with rods/reels. If you are wanting distance I wouldn't look at a rod less than 9' long and I would seriously consider Braid rather than anything else as it will improve your distance.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:45 pm

http://www.henrystackleshop.com/product ... ts_id=1243

http://www.whitbyanglingsupplies.com/ca ... ts_id=1101