Mono shock leader on braid ?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi

Is there any precedence for using a mono' leader on Braid ? I was reading something interesting earlier about the differences between Mono' and Braid and one of the suggestions was that with Braid fish can be lost as a result of the fact that Braid having no give can cause the consequent shock of a take/strike to result in the hook being pulled out of the mouth of the fish. If this is the case I was wondering if a mono' leader would soften the shock and aid the setting of the hook ?

Re: Mono shock leader on braid ?

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:22 am

if your lure fishing they say a 2ft length of mono or fluorocarbon helps but you can use swivels, if your beach casting with braid they recommend you use this knot on your shock leader

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2e9XgPsWZao

seemingly it gives the highest breaking strain out of all the knots tested , bit of a pain to tie

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:40 pm

flynnboy wrote:Hi

Is there any precedence for using a mono' leader on Braid ? I was reading something interesting earlier about the differences between Mono' and Braid and one of the suggestions was that with Braid fish can be lost as a result of the fact that Braid having no give can cause the consequent shock of a take/strike to result in the hook being pulled out of the mouth of the fish. If this is the case I was wondering if a mono' leader would soften the shock and aid the setting of the hook ?

Yep would totally agree...but ye need to try different lenghts of mono or fluoro to minimise tangles when casting (tis a pain when goes wrong!)...have settled for bout 600mm meself...otherwise don't bother and use the braid straight to the lure..set the drag just enough then the fish takes there is a little give...works best for me...good luck

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:58 pm

gerryl wrote:
flynnboy wrote:Hi

Yep would totally agree...but ye need to try different lenghts of mono or fluoro to minimise tangles when casting (tis a pain when goes wrong!)...have settled for bout 600mm meself...otherwise don't bother and use the braid straight to the lure..set the drag just enough then the fish takes there is a little give...works best for me...good luck

I've recently been using about 18" of mono and it works a treat. In fact the best effect is that the mono completely stops the line wrapping itself around the hooks during a cast, which happens often with braid direct to the lure.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:06 pm

flynnboy wrote:I've recently been using about 18" of mono and it works a treat. In fact the best effect is that the mono completely stops the line wrapping itself around the hooks during a cast, which happens often with braid direct to the lure.

how do you attach the mono to the braid in this case..? does the knot ever catch on the eyes of the rod?

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:39 pm

chuckaroo wrote:
flynnboy wrote:I've recently been using about 18" of mono and it works a treat. In fact the best effect is that the mono completely stops the line wrapping itself around the hooks during a cast, which happens often with braid direct to the lure.

how do you attach the mono to the braid in this case..? does the knot ever catch on the eyes of the rod?

Well my mono leader is only about 18" and so the line never comes up close to my rings. But even if it did the knot is so small I doubt it will do any damage. I use an albright knot. It's really neat and small and strong. You can also make a loop in the mono with a surgeons knot and tie the braid to that with an albright. A double uni knot can also be used.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:24 pm

flynnboy wrote:
chuckaroo wrote:

Well my mono leader is only about 18" and so the line never comes up close to my rings. But even if it did the knot is so small I doubt it will do any damage. I use an albright knot. It's really neat and small and strong. You can also make a loop in the mono with a surgeons knot and tie the braid to that with an albright. A double uni knot can also be used.

ah yes, i know the albright knot and use it.
but oops..., i read that as 18feet instead of 18inches... :oops: :oops:

thanks for the reply mate! i'll be doing that.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:17 pm

chuckaroo wrote:
flynnboy wrote:
chuckaroo wrote:

ah yes, i know the albright knot and use it.
but oops..., i read that as 18feet instead of 18inches... :oops: :oops:

thanks for the reply mate! i'll be doing that.

18' ! No wonder you wondered about the rings :mrgreen:

Just got back from another trip using this leader and caught 2 nice Pollack. Got 3 yesterday. Since I started using the mono leader I haven't once had the line wrap itself around the lure after a cast, before this it would normally happen at least a few times each trip :D

Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:16 am

im just back form an evening spinning for sea trout. just in case anyone is wondering i didnt catch any sea trout (despite a good few showing - they were just out of reach :roll: ) but i did catch around 20 pollack averaging a pound...
however, i was fishing some new 20lb braid - with a 24" leader tied with a albright know.. :wink: - BUT i got no less than FOUR birds-nests up the line during my casting!!! :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry:
it was driving me crazy!! why is this happening???
any help/advice received gratefully!

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:27 am

chuckaroo wrote:im just back form an evening spinning for sea trout. just in case anyone is wondering i didnt catch any sea trout (despite a good few showing - they were just out of reach :roll: ) but i did catch around 20 pollack averaging a pound...
however, i was fishing some new 20lb braid - with a 24" leader tied with a albright know.. :wink: - BUT i got no less than FOUR birds-nests up the line during my casting!!! :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry:
it was driving me crazy!! why is this happening???
any help/advice received gratefully!

Hi Chuckaroo. Nice amount of fish there, shame about the SeaTrout.

As for the wind knots (as in winding) there are a couple of things you can do to help prevent this. Do not use a cheap braid. Never load the line right up to the lip, leave at least 1/8th empty down from the lip of the spool. After every cast check you do not have a loop over the spool end. Take a look at youtube - Mike's tips on Braid - and make sure the braid is not spooled on too lightly.

Hope this helps

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 am

Hi again chuckaroo,

Have a look here - http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/s ... nots+braid

Don't worry, you are not alone in this, it happens to us all. You just have to take certain steps as mentioned and I promise your wind knots will reduce, mine have considerably. Everything I could tell you is contained in the post in the link above. Watch Mike's video. The other important thing you will find a help is to always close the Bale arm manually. I always do this just before splash-down so that there is still tension on the braid, and then I make the first few winds with the braid between my thumb and finger to make sure there is tension still on the line until the tension from the lure kicks in.

Where were you fishing by the way ?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:12 pm

fill your spool just over half way, close the bale arm manually, after that, draw about a foot of braid off your reel before retrieving, this ensures the braid is not going to go back on loose as you draw your lure in. Worked a treat for me :D no more wind knots :D

Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:59 pm

flynnboy wrote:Hi Chuckaroo. Nice amount of fish there, shame about the SeaTrout.

As for the wind knots (as in winding) there are a couple of things you can do to help prevent this. Do not use a cheap braid. Never load the line right up to the lip, leave at least 1/8th empty down from the lip of the spool. After every cast check you do not have a loop over the spool end. Take a look at youtube - Mike's tips on Braid - and make sure the braid is not spooled on too lightly.

Hope this helps

flynnboy wrote:Hi again chuckaroo,

Have a look here - http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/s ... nots+braid

Don't worry, you are not alone in this, it happens to us all. You just have to take certain steps as mentioned and I promise your wind knots will reduce, mine have considerably. Everything I could tell you is contained in the post in the link above. Watch Mike's video. The other important thing you will find a help is to always close the Bale arm manually. I always do this just before splash-down so that there is still tension on the braid, and then I make the first few winds with the braid between my thumb and finger to make sure there is tension still on the line until the tension from the lure kicks in.

Where were you fishing by the way ?
great stuff flynnboy
i reckon that the braid is of decent quality.. its that spiderwire stuff.. but then again its the new 'invisible' white coloured braid and it doesnt actually seem to have the same 'plastic' finish that a lot of other braids have.. so dont know if this would be a factor. dont really think so
so anyway, i just wasnt aware that the line had to go back onto the reel under tension! the birds nests were happening on my cast and probably a result of loose loops on the reel (which i did notice on occasion), all advice there duelly noted.
great advice and help there mate!
learning all the time.
thanks again
Charlie
btw, i was fishing east coast co.antrim.
Kgarr wrote:fill your spool just over half way, close the bale arm manually, after that, draw about a foot of braid off your reel before retrieving, this ensures the braid is not going to go back on loose as you draw your lure in. Worked a treat for me :D no more wind knots :D
thanks Kgarr, yes indeed, i had the braid loaded right to the lip :roll: but then again... by the time i had stopped fishing i had probably just the right amount on... :roll: :wink:
again, all other points noted! and appreciated!
cheers

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Your very welcome chuckaroo. I was having the same infernal problems myself until fairly recently. We're learning from each all of the time, it's great :D

Might go out in a bit. It's tipping down here but I might go anyway.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:06 pm

flynnboy wrote:Your very welcome chuckaroo. I was having the same infernal problems myself until fairly recently. We're learning from each all of the time, it's great :D

Might go out in a bit. It's tipping down here but I might go anyway.

good luck!
yeah, im going to travel the length of the country to fish for bass in cork! - try and catch my first one.
i need to get this issue sorted quick-smart! your help will go a long way i hope... :mrgreen:
cheers