Recommendations for good reels for braid ?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi Guys

Does anyone have any recommendations for Lure reels that are good for Braid ?

Re: Recommendations for good reels for braid ?

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:52 pm

m8 best check manufacturers websites...using Shimano, Tica and daiwa...all good!

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:26 pm

gerryl wrote:m8 best check manufacturers websites...using Shimano, Tica and daiwa...all good!

Yes but if you believe what the manufacturers tell you you'd buy them all and never know which one to use :mrgreen: I prefer to get feedback from the people using them.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:28 pm

i have a shimano catana reel and its sweet smooth out and very strong never had any problems so far!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:58 am

lugworm wrote:i have a shimano catana reel and its sweet smooth out and very strong never had any problems so far!!!!

Started my lure fishing with one of these 3 years ago, didnt get 12 months out of it. Was never the smoothiest, sweetest or strongest reel for me, infact I'd go so far as to say it was crap :shock:

Maybe others have a better experience with them, I unfortunately didnt :(

Bought myself a shimano stella (2500 size) 2nd hand on ebay.com early last year, got it from a japanese seller. Paid €200 delivered, some reel I can tell you - the best I've used so far.

Mine is loaded with 10lb powerpro braid and its a dream to use :D

From my personal experience I'd rather buy a well cared for top end 2nd hand reel, than a cheaper "brand new" one.

If you give us some idea of your budget, then maybe we will be better placed to give you some ideas/recommendations :idea:

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:03 am

Should add, i was using the catana with 12lb mono and the line lay was atrocious, even if it had lasted long enough, I wouldnt have had the confidence to load it with braid :!:

Only used ever braid on my shimano stella.............no wind knots, no tangles, great line lay............generally speaking, you get what you pay for :wink:

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Shimano rarenium 4000, can't say a bad word about it, have it loaded with 18lb powerpro braid, really smooth and loads really well, excellent drag for the big ones when they're on, well worth the money.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:09 pm

The smaller 3000 version looks good.

half price deal at the moment, never owned one but looks good.

www.fishingmegastore.com/shimano-elf-reels~10232.html

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:24 pm

dunno what was wrong with ur one bro but mine is sweet as a nut............

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Go for the Shimano technium iv never had any trouble at all with mine. bit pricey but you get what you pay for

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:52 am

Hi Guys

Does anyone have anything to say about the difference between the Shimano Rarenium 3000 and the 4000 ?

The 4000 is 60 gms heavier, which I guess means it's bigger ? But the 3000 has a shallower spool which I think might be better for braid ?

The only difference in the specs is the spool size and weight, absolutely everything else is the same.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:59 am

shamoo knows EVERYTHING there ask him!!!!!!

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:00 am

If you are looking for a reel that won't break the bank and gives good service you could try the Surecatch Unity UTF45. The same reel, in a different colour is sold as a Sakura Alpax 4008FD. I use mine with braid.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:04 am

lugworm wrote:shamoo knows EVERYTHING there ask him!!!!!!

I sure do, even have the euromillions numbers for tonight if anybody wants them :lol:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:46 am

JimC wrote:If you are looking for a reel that won't break the bank and gives good service you could try the Surecatch Unity UTF45. The same reel, in a different colour is sold as a Sakura Alpax 4008FD. I use mine with braid.

bought one of these reels on Jims advice...more than happy with it.spool is a little deep ,but that is easily resolved.its heavier than a rarenium but as an entry level reel,its perfect,looks good too.with a little basic care it will give years of service.recommended :wink:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:07 pm

shamoo0804 wrote:
lugworm wrote:shamoo knows EVERYTHING there ask him!!!!!!

I sure do, even have the euromillions numbers for tonight if anybody wants them :lol:

HARDLEY!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:12 pm

I can vouch for that, bought a Surecatch Unity UTF45 out of curiosity last year based on Jim's recommendation, loaded it with 20lb Spiderwire EZ Braid and teamed it up with a 2.70m long Berkley Skeletor 10-40g Series One rod. Seriously, I would be hard pressed to find a better matching or balanced combination. I caught fish up to 8lb with it (but I'm convinced it could easily cope with double the weight) casts like a dream and is light enough to hold it all day, never had wind knots and the line lay is perfect. Didn't find any negative points as yet.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Shimano Rarenium (CI4)3000 FSA paired with 20Ib Varivas Max Power PE Braid x8 all the way,beautiful action with this reel and very smooth on the cast,

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Well guys, thanks very much for all of the input, but, in fact I've gone and ordered the Shimano Rarenium Ci4 4000FA
Cheers

Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:22 am

Yesterday I got - Shimano Stella SW 4000 HG. Until now I used Twin Power SW 4000 PG, but he was a little too slow. Maybe tomorrow I try Stella :-)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us