Whys is braid prone to knotting ?

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi

I have actually put this to another forum but no solutions.

Does anyone know why Braid is prone to sudden awful knotting ? This has happened to me on numerous occasions now. For example there I was the other day casting away nicely with no hint of a problem when suddenly mid-cast - bang.... instead of one line coming from my spool I had 3 lines coming off it and an awful mess ensued with the loss of about 30 yds !

Because I know only too well now this is prone to happen now and then I always close the bail arm manually and every cast I check that there is no looping at the beginning and end of a cast, but yet, no matter what every now and then an awful mess happens. I use PowerPro Braid, I do not overload the spool and I use a good quality Shimano reel.:evil: :( :shock: :? :?:

Re: Whys is braid prone to knotting ?

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:04 pm

m8 sounds like the braid is too lose on the reel spool (or slipping) when your reeling (or snag the line) the tension is forcing the incoming line into (or below) the line on the spool...hence when you cast the braid is pullin the line below with it!

best to re-spool - off load the braid on to another rod and reel, set the drag on that reel with a little tension (not too much) and re-spool the Shimano- (some even use mono backing on the reel before spooling braid) I have never bothered but make sure the braid is not slipping when loading (wet the first 20yrds thats going onto the reel) best luck... :wink: